Paint job has lines under clearcoat?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:07 pm
Hello all,
I had some paint work done on my car a few months ago and I've just noticed that it appears there's lines under the clear? I know it took me quite a while to notice this, but I was doing a paint correction and some mild wet sanding (bad orange peel) and noticed something was weird. There's lines under the clear that I cannot sand out and also circular marks too? Anyone know what this? Thanks.

Last edited by CuriousQuestions30 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:48 am
Most likely they did a poor job sanding the primer. The base coat doesn't cover scratches very well, which is why the primer needs to finish sanded to 600 grit.

The orange peel in the clear obscured your view of the base coat. Now that you are removing the OP and buffing the clear, all those scratches will be visible.

Buff a small area and take it back to the shop. Show them what you are seeing. They many not do anything about it but at least you tried.

After that I would leave a review of their business letting people know what happened to you.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:26 pm
:goodpost: yep, very poor quality job. i hope you didn't pay to much for it.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:19 pm
badsix wrote::goodpost: yep, very poor quality job. i hope you didn't pay to much for it.
Jay D.

It wasn't cheap.
Last edited by CuriousQuestions30 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:51 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Most likely they did a poor job sanding the primer. The base coat doesn't cover scratches very well, which is why the primer needs to finish sanded to 600 grit.

The orange peel in the clear obscured your view of the base coat. Now that you are removing the OP and buffing the clear, all those scratches will be visible.

Buff a small area and take it back to the shop. Show them what you are seeing. They many not do anything about it but at least you tried.

After that I would leave a review of their business letting people know what happened to you.

It's been so long I don't think I'm even going to bother going back. I'm just going to leave a review I guess.

Return to Body and Paint