How to (and should you) clear coat over decals?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:21 pm
Can't find anything but a few stray posts on this with conflicting opinions, so I'm wondering if there is a guide or other "how to" on burying decals under clearcoat.

In my case, I have a set of small decals (2" x 2"), two sets of medium decals (4" x 6") and two large (21") roundels.

I could of course just stick them on over the clear as the PO did, but they tend to collect dust around the edges and they tend to accumulate scratches, which look terrible.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:32 pm
ot1138 wrote:Can't find anything but a few stray posts on this with conflicting opinions, so I'm wondering if there is a guide or other "how to" on burying decals under clearcoat.

In my case, I have a set of small decals (2" x 2"), two sets of medium decals (4" x 6") and two large (21") roundels.

I could of course just stick them on over the clear as the PO did, but they tend to collect dust around the edges and they tend to accumulate scratches, which look terrible.
I've done a few bike tanks with decals over the last few months--I'm far from a pro but this is what I did: based and cleared the tank. Let it dry for 3 days and wet sanded it with 800 wet. Applied the decals and then gave the tank 3 more coats of clear. At that point I called it done but I know some will sand around the edges of the decal and then clear again--I didn't trust myself enough so I called it done before that. The Pros will likely chime in but that is what I did and I thought it looked good.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:34 pm
:goodpost: i've done a lot of them mostly Harley Davidson decals. it GREATLY depends on the decal type. i would always do the color work and one or two wet coats of clear. you must let this dry for several days, at least 2-3. it needs to gas out completely or you will get bubbles under your decal. sand the clear with 600 -800 and apply your decal and clear. if you want it smooth just do 2-3 wet clear coats then sand, being careful not to sand into the decal. you might need to apply a couple more clear coats to get it smooth depends on your decal type. when its smooth apply 2-3 final clear coats and deliver to the customer and pocket your money.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint