Cooler Weather Painting?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:23 pm
Hi Guys,

I am needing to paint a couple of fender patches I welded onto our winter car (Ford Escape). Metal work and filler and primer is done. Problem being that the next day I can do the actual bc/cc is going to be a cool but sunny 55'. Not optimal to say the least, I am forced to do it outside as my small shop for the bike parts is just that...small. Apart from taking a lot longer to flash and ultimately dry, am I asking for trouble to shoot it in that temps? Never done it that cold before. Would fast reducer help a lot more than my medium. It's only our winter car and it is a black metallic but I want to do a decent job. Thoughts??

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:54 pm
The problem you will run into is with the metal being cold. I’ve painted in 50 degree weather a few times and I’ve had to adjust my style quite a bit. Clear coat will run like crazy on cold steel! Do really thin coats of paint and clear. The clear May dry with some haziness and will need buffed out to get a shine. I’ve never had adhesion problems tho. I’ve looked over cars I’ve painted in 45-50 degree weather 5 years later and they all look fine, but they were a hassle! Possibly some heat lights on the metal ahead of time them after sprayed will help.
-Lukey-

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:24 am
Lukey wrote:The problem you will run into is with the metal being cold. I’ve painted in 50 degree weather a few times and I’ve had to adjust my style quite a bit. Clear coat will run like crazy on cold steel! Do really thin coats of paint and clear. The clear May dry with some haziness and will need buffed out to get a shine. I’ve never had adhesion problems tho. I’ve looked over cars I’ve painted in 45-50 degree weather 5 years later and they all look fine, but they were a hassle! Possibly some heat lights on the metal ahead of time them after sprayed will help.
O.K. so it sounds do-abe, especially since it is my car and really only a winter beater but it is actually in really nice shape. I can try to get the metal up a bit in temp with a heat gun/hair dryer just seconds before I shoot. Would buying fast reducer help much (I'd likely never use it again)??

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:45 am
I don't know what clear your useing, but cold weather activator and or reducer ( we call it fast) is what you need. see if its available for your clear. you may want fast activator for your base also, or use the mid. and apply in thin coats with good flash times.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:09 pm
I've painted in sub-zero temperatures. The key is to get and keep the panel warm and warm up your paint. A heat lamp, or banks of them are what I used.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:22 pm
NFT5 wrote:I've painted in sub-zero temperatures. The key is to get and keep the panel warm and warm up your paint. A heat lamp, or banks of them are what I used.
That makes me feel better...I can keep the paint/clear over 75' no problem...the panel--temporally will be warm also. Might just work out. Thanks Guys!!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:40 am
The panel needs to be warm, not hot, before you start and you then need to keep it warm while the paint hardens. I mix my clear in a plastic bottle and then drop that in a tin with hot water in it - same as you would do for a baby's bottle. Get it up to 20-25C and it goes on nice.

Don't forget what the other guys have said about faster hardeners and thinners/reducers.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:06 pm
NFT5 wrote:The panel needs to be warm, not hot, before you start and you then need to keep it warm while the paint hardens. I mix my clear in a plastic bottle and then drop that in a tin with hot water in it - same as you would do for a baby's bottle. Get it up to 20-25C and it goes on nice.

Don't forget what the other guys have said about faster hardeners and thinners/reducers.
O.K. I'm feeling a bit better about this now. I can heat up the panel and likely keep the painted area warm with lights for the time it takes to dry. I'll keep all the material inside the house and mix it there and bring it out just seconds before I spray it. Hoping to do this on the weekend or Monday--I'll let you know how it turns out--good or bad. Thanks!!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:14 pm
Update,

Shot the fenders yesterday. Weather was really good (outside job)--mid to low 60's and sunny. I did use a fast reducer and I'm sure it helped as it flashed very quickly. Couple of coats of base and then 3 coats of clear. Looked really good. This was my first cooler weather job and a blend. Will need to cut and buff the transition area but I think it will be seamless. I'll shoot some pics when I finish it on the weekend.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:12 am
It's colder now and like every season change,
I have to learn how to paint all over again :?
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)
Next

Return to Body and Paint