Need advice on my sanded down hood.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:59 pm
20211028_125302.jpg
hood 2
I'm a mechanic and am new to autobody and have really learned a lot since beginning this hood. I really need some advice on how to proceed.

I made a mistake of using to coarse a grit and ended up exposing a lot of metal and really complicating things. I'm just trying to get it ready for paint. I have included 4 pictures showing the hood in its current state.

I exposed the metal on the edges of the hood as you can see in the pictures.
20211028_130225.jpg
hood 4

I bought a used hood in decent condition the only problem was the paint was very bubbled and not smooth at all.

I attempted to strip all the black bubbled paint off with 60 grit. When I got it all off I went to 80 grit then 120 grit. I block sanded with all grits.

The hood is smoothed out now my only problem is I exposed a lot of metal sanding it with 60 and 80 grit.

I have a few questions on how to proceed. I was originally going to fill the dent by where the left grill goes using Bondo gold. Then after that was done I was going to use rustoleum etch primer on the exposed metal Then follow up with a rustoleum 2 in 1 filler/sand primer over the entire hood. I was then going to sand the filler primer with 400 then finish with rustoleum sealer primer then sand that with 400.

I have since learned that etch primer can't be used on the existing oem primer and can only be sprayed on metal as it will cause chipping and problems later.

I have since decided that I should just finish sanding it with 180 grit and primer the entire hood with Eastwood 2k epoxy primer. I don't have a spray gun so I would be using their aero product.

I do have a small area to fill with Bondo where the left grill goes. My plan is to use Bondo gold on the bare metal and then seal it with primer.

Any advice is appreciated.

20211028_125312.jpg
hood 1

20211028_130221.jpg
hood 2

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:59 pm
I don't have a spray gun so I would be using their aero product. So let's start with that....you mean that you want to rattle can this whole thing, from primer through clear coat?????
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:40 pm
If anyone knows how to best finish this I would appreciate it. Its only the hood and and im just prepping it for paint only.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:38 pm
You will need to find, borrow or get a spray gun, compressor, water separator and filtration system if you intend to do this right.

Most on here will not be offering advice on how to do it wrong.

Trying to do this with rattle cans is not going to be worth the effort and the end result will be disappointing and short lived.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:54 am
Yeah, as said there by 68 we don't mean to throw a wrench in your plans but even just going up through primer rattle cans are just not going to get you a good foundation for the rest of the paint job..... you have to have that especially with a hood because it is seen "front and center."
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:53 am
So if someone else is going to paint it, why not let them do the prep work?

Personally, I will not paint anything someone else as prepped, at least not with any warranty.

As pointed out, the foundation of your paint job is the most critical point.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:21 am
:goodpost: EXCILENT info. let the person thats going to put the top coat on do it all. he will be happier and so will you.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint