Spraying metallic- assembled or disassembled

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:03 am
First post here, I have a 1982 El Camino Conquistador 2 tone that is ready for color and clear. I’m repainting using the original colors; Dark redwood metallic (primary) and pastel sandstone (accent). Is it ok to spray the hood, doors and tailgate separate (off the car) or should I reassemble car when spraying the redwood metallic? Also any suggestions on spraying this factory color would be appreciated.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:31 am
I spray them apart most of the time but on something I want to look absolutely perfect, I would spray the jambs and undersides of the hood and trunk lid, inside of doors, etc. and then assemble and spray the entire car.

If you spray them apart, you have to be absolutely consistent in your gun settings, number of coats, etc. Also try to orient the parts so they are positioned as they will be on the vehicle.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:27 pm
Yeah, in the past I was so concerned about that orientation thing that we made up some wooden bucks that would keep everything more "car like" when I shot metallics. Solid colors, not as much of a problem....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:02 pm
:goodpost: :goodpost: i have to agree with both of the above.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint