Tired clear coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:42 am
The hood on my '05 Sierra is starting to show some fine lines in the clear coat on the hood. It still looks good but I thought I would nip it in the bud before it gets too bad.

I am a complete neophyte having only done spot repairs with rattle cans.

I thought I'd wet sand the hood down a bit with 1000 grit without taking any color off. Then I'd spray some clear coat over the hood only.

My questions are:
1. Is that a good approach? The truck otherwise looks great and is not in need of a complete paint job.
2. What kind of clear coat should I use such that it matches the existing clear coat on the rest of the truck?

Many thanks for any tips.
Jason

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:58 pm
Best to post a pic. for us Usually putting more clear over an old clear isn't "improving" the surface qualities.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:03 pm
Unless I'm missing something it looks like I can't post pictures unless I first upload them to some third party server. Thanks just the same.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:58 pm
Well, yes, you are missing something. When you pull up the white reply box look further down that page and you will see 2 tabs to your left. Tap on the dark blue Highlight Attachement tab. You will then see a Choose File button that should open up your own computer files which have your pic.s. Tap your picture then hit the Add the File button and the pic.s will be added within your reply here....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:30 pm
My first time on the site. Thought I might get a friendly tip or two sans the know-it-all snark. I'll look elsewhere.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:07 pm
JTLiuzza wrote:My first time on the site. Thought I might get a friendly tip or two sans the know-it-all snark. I'll look elsewhere.

lighten up,JT. your read way too much into that reply. darrell is probably the least snarky person on this site.
he gave you a very friendly tip when he could have said," its not rocket science- figure it out." :D
post a pic and i guarantee he will give sound advise.

Return to Body and Paint