How to prep dried base coat for clear coat.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:40 pm
I'm on a project which involved painting flames on an airplane cowl. The 1st base coat is metallic, and the second base coat (flames) is also metallic. I also want to smooth out the two tone step.

What's are the alternatives to prepping the base coat for clear coat since the base coat have been painted over a week ago.

Thanks

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:55 pm
Once dried you need to sand base coat (lightly) and then spray it again before clearing.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:13 am
couldn't he just not scuff the base and shoot a coat of intercoat clear base , then go to your clear coat. the intercoat would be the rebonding of the basecoat. sometimes on the first coat i'll turn the fan down and just spray the clear along the edges, or use my detail gun if its a big job. let this flash and then coat the compete area. if conditions are right you can shoot the edges with two coats then the full coat. i don't like to let the overspray dry up to much before the full coat. doing this just gives you more to sand it flat with.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:21 am
badsix wrote:couldn't he just not scuff the base and shoot a coat of intercoat clear base

Perhaps, if the base and intercoat clear were the same brand. But I've never seen that in any TDS and it's never been mentioned in any training I've done.

Suggest a call to the paint manufacturer technical guys first. Much cheaper than a rework when (and if) it fails.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:43 pm
i state this as i have always been instructed that if the base is out of the recoat time for clear, all that is needed is to recoat with the base itself. i'm assuming that the intercoat clear would do the same. BUT you're right, a call to the manufacture should be done.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:38 pm
Thanks for the info. I'll contact the paint supply regarding the intercoat clear.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:25 pm
please let us know what you find out it may help some else.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:30 am
at the point you are at now, your best option is House oh Kolor AP-01, light coat let flash for 5 min and clear. apply 3-4 coats of clear. sand 800 and re clear all your lines will disappear.

DO NOT sand that metallic basecoat, you will have to redo all your graphics.

In the Future your steps would want to be something like....

base color, clear, cut, flames, clear, cut, pinstripe if doing so, clear, and if you want you can cut and clear one more time.

don't do graphics over un sealed basecoat, your margin of error is to high to be worth it.

hope this helps, I'm not always real clear on my guidance so ask more questions if need to.

but for now that AP-01 will hold your clear, even on a airplane.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:02 pm
:goodpost: on your STEPS. it's always good to have the clear between coats of color when doing this sort of thing. it gives you something to drop back to if you have a minor problem at the next coat. ( tape bleed, striper finger prints and so on )
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:23 pm
badsix wrote::goodpost: on your STEPS. it's always good to have the clear between coats of color when doing this sort of thing. it gives you something to drop back to if you have a minor problem at the next coat. ( tape bleed, striper finger prints and so on )
Jay D.

Correct, and it is not IF, it is WHEN, tape bleeds, overspray, a bad line, etc because if you do this stuff often it will happen.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Body and Paint