Need Respray Help

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:05 pm
I have successfully completed two paint jobs on project cars with help from the guys on this forum but on both of those jobs I sanded each vehicle down to bare metal with 80 grit and then sprayed with epoxy primer followed by regular primer then basecoat / clearcoat. I recently purchased a Chevy short bed square body and the paint is in good shape with shine. It has a few dings and scratches but no dents. I dislike the color and want to do a respray. My question is is there an easier than taking it all the way down to bare metal? Thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:43 pm
fix all your dents and dings spot prime and finish them off. sand the complete truck with some 320 on a D/A, it's probably good and smooth so the 320 should work well. now for all the areas you can't get with the D/A sand them wet with 320 or 400, around the windows and so on. wash, mask, shoot a coat of epoxy mixed as a sealer then your top coat.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:27 pm
badsix wrote:fix all your dents and dings spot prime and finish them off. sand the complete truck with some 320 on a D/A, it's probably good and smooth so the 320 should work well. now for all the areas you can't get with the D/A sand them wet with 320 or 400, around the windows and so on. wash, mask, shoot a coat of epoxy mixed as a sealer then your top coat.
Jay D.

Jay I am currently following these instructions but have quick question. After i spray the epoxy can i sand it with 400 grit before base if it dont spray perfectly smooth. Thank you for the previous help on my 35 ford and 51 chevy truck years ago. they both turned out great.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:26 pm
you shouldn't have any problems with the epoxy going on smooth and flat WHEN its mixed as a sealer. i'm not sure what to tell you about sanding the sealer. it's going to be soft for the first part then by the time you sand it you could posibly be out of the recoat time for the sealer, it will all need to be sanded. if you think you might want or have to sand it, then i would just spray at full mix and plan on sanding it with your 400.
another suggestion would be to spray it as a sealer, then if it doesn't look right let it dry a few days and then sand it with 400 or 600 probably wet and topcoat. if it happens to go on nice and smooth and you see no problems let it flash an hour or two then go to your topcoats. be sure to tack rag and if you have some dirt, lint or other minor defect spots you can LIGHTLY nib these with some 600 tightly wrapped on a small block. before your topcoats. check your info sheet for more accurate flash times and recoat times
good luck.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:00 pm
I agree with Jay,

If you will feel more secure about it, spray unreduced epoxy planning to wet sand with 600 prior to painting.

One nice thing about a sealer coat, is it will let you know if the vehicle is ready for paint or not.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:00 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I agree with Jay,

If you will feel more secure about it, spray unreduced epoxy planning to wet sand with 600 prior to painting.

One nice thing about a sealer coat, is it will let you know if the vehicle is ready for paint or not.

Thanks, even when not working on a Hobby car i have enjoyed watching the projects that you and Bad Six have worked on over the past ten or eleven years.

Return to Body and Paint