US auto color screwed up

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:57 pm
I chose a brown in limco base that was to be root beer brown with three colors of pearl. It looked wrong on the lid but i took it and did some spray outs. it was pretty much dark gray. I took the spray outs and the gallon back and looked at the sample with two of the employees and they agreed it was off. then the manager looked at it and said that the Limco sample was not a spray out and some times with the cheaper paints this happens. $450 a gallon is not real cheap. I can get it to root beer by putting a coat of mandarin candy over it but that deadens the pearl some. should i tell them to eat the gallon and redo it. if their sample is wrong that's not my fault no matter what the price right?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:55 pm
The phrase "cheap paint" isn't necessarily referring to the cost. There is a reason the big name paint manufacturers can sell their bargain brands for a lot less than the quality line.

I order my base coats from a guy in Michigan who sells Motobase LV. It is a quality base that mixes 1:1 with reducer so you get more paint for the money. Prices include shipping to me in Arizona and yes, it is less money than the local jobber charges for quality paint.

To answer your question, taking it back to get the color you paid for is a good idea. However don't be surprised if they cannot get it mixed to your satisfaction.

I went to my local guy to get a tri-stage pearl mixed and they couldn't do it. This is how I ended up buying the Motobase as they got the mix perfect.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint