Chrome-like Mirror Finish

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:12 pm
Hi all, I'm gonna start this off by admitting that I am a newbie when it comes to finishing. My experience ends at the occasional rattle can project, and while I can get good results, I've never done a true finishing project before.

I recently got an air compressor, and among other things, am planning to help a friend spray a carbon fiber bicycle fork (matte black) so that it resembles polished steel (vintage bicycle).

What kind of paint would I be looking to get? (I am quite confused by the different types of paints [e.g. X-based, Y-based, etc) it seems like there are so many types and each is used for a different material/purpose)

Back when I built a guitar, I had it sprayed professionally with nitrocellulose (I also heard that's what they use on cars) and that worked well. However, Google is also telling me that cars are painted using urethane-based, etc.

What's a good choice for as-mirror-as-possible chrome? (Located in the US so ideally something I can get domestically)

Thanks!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:18 pm
Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25345
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:24 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25345

Wow that looks amazing! unfortunately it looks to be way out of my budget range as a small-time DIYer. Any alternatives that I can buy as a paint and just start spraying with?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:01 am
hihihi8 wrote:
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25345

Wow that looks amazing! unfortunately it looks to be way out of my budget range as a small-time DIYer. Any alternatives that I can buy as a paint and just start spraying with?

you could try House of Kolor chrome, pretty finicky stuff though

https://www.google.com/search?q=house+o ... e&ie=UTF-8
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Body and Paint