So, 6 yrs ago...

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:47 pm
I was delighted to get my car back from the painter, loved what he had done and couldn't be happier. The last couple of posts, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25963&p=195527#p195527
With in a year tiny little bubbles started showing up in a few places, I thought it might be outgasing because the summer was so hot but they just kept popping up until a good part of the car looked like it had a rash.
6 yrs later I have finally got around to getting the car back up on the rotisserie and do the paint myself this time.

Here's why it failed, he promised me that he would sand the bare metal, epoxy prime the car then start applying filler. That's not what he did, filler on the metal, the primer on top of that, BUT he didn't sand the metal or even wipe the car down with solvent/cleaner before spraying. In a couple of the pics you can see the pencil marks I made around some of the flaws before I shipped the car over to him. I found my original pencil marks all over the car.
In fact the only sanding the metal received is when he burned through the primer while sanding then sprayed basecoat colour over the metal with no primer followed by clear coat.
Now I know why all the rust was popping through.
DSCN1402.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:29 am
Safe to assume you are not having him do the job again? Although would be trying to get your $$ back or, at least some of it. Although, unless it was a 'friend", he is likely long gone by now. What's your plan going forward?

P.S. Love your Z....I had a '73 240Z. Loved that little car. Pretty quick for what it was.....100mph with 1 finger on the wheel and it was rock steady :) Young and dumb but it was fun.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:31 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:Safe to assume you are not having him do the job again? Although would be trying to get your $$ back or, at least some of it. Although, unless it was a 'friend", he is likely long gone by now. What's your plan going forward?

I don't think he is in business any more, at least I hope not.
He's the reason I finally decided to try and learn how to paint myself, I'm certainly not that experienced yet but I know I put out a better job then that.
The colour hasn't been decided on yet, too many choices but I'm still a couple months away from that decision.

Return to Body and Paint