How would you tackle this touchup job?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:49 pm
The damage isn't too visible from standing height. It is on the bottom of the front bumper. I think I may have hit a curb. My main concern is to keep it from spreading. There are deep scratches in the plastic. The paint code is Toyota 089. Toyota makes a 2 part kit for the paint color. It has a base coat and a top coat pen. I also saw on ebay someone selling a base and top coat in little containers. What is the best way to repair the bumper?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:02 pm
Can you post a picture for us?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:28 pm
That colour is a white pearl, commonly called a 3 layer pearl. There is a white base coat, then a pearl coat (which sits on top of the white, but is see-through, and finally, a clear over the top.

Touching up 3 layer pearls is extremely difficult because the effect comes from the thickness of the pearl coat and any stroking with the brush can soften the coat underneath and mix that with the coat you're trying to apply. Couple that with actual colour differences from the factories (I have 22 variants of this colour in my Axalta Cromax system) and colour matching can also be a problem. In your case it isn't a really visible area, so you may get away with slight differences. Get your paint in small bottles with brushes if possible. Pens won't work very well in this application.

Scrapes under the front bar are common and are unlikely to spread, but sealing it up is good. Access under there can be difficult so turn the car over for better access and ease of application - paint tends to run away from the end of the brush when working upside-down.

Start with a razor blade and trim off the raised edges along each scratch. Try not to dig in and make it worse or the damage area bigger. Shake your bottles until paint is thoroughly mixed then put a small quantity of the solid white into a small container. 10 drops into a thimble is good. Now put about the same amount of thinner into your little container. Mix with the brush but don't get paint all up the shaft if you can avoid it. Load your brush by dipping in the paint and then wiping the bristles against the side of the container to push the paint down to the end of the brush. Now apply that to the scratch by just touching the tip against the scratch. Make sure you don't get paint outside of the scratch and don't be tempted to stroke it. Continue until all scratches are covered. Leave to dry for an hour or so.

Repeat the process with the pearl coat, allow that to dry another hour. Then again with a 1K/acrylic clear.

The job can be done much better by a paint shop or one of the mobile guys or even yourself spraying, but I figure if you're talking about touch-up pens that you probably aren't looking at that kind of expense and just want to get rid of the black scratches and seal it up.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:08 pm
pictures please, there may be another way to look at this problem.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:25 pm
Thank;s NFTS

I've attached some pics. I'm not opposed to spraying it with cans if that is possible. I'm not sure how much a body shop would charge for it.

Last edited by fronty on Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:20 pm
Need to try again on those pictures. All I see is a circle with a - in the center.
1968 Coronet R/T

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:28 pm
strange, when i opened it earlier the pictures where there. here's an idea, i would mask at the body line just above the damage. fix the deep gouges in the plastic, SEMS has filler for plastics. spray that complete lower area with some satin black, it will be easy to repair next time.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:10 pm

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:59 pm
i can't view the pictures ^^^^^^
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:44 pm
fronty wrote:

When posting pictures you start your post in the first window that opens. While in this window, scroll down to the Black Tabs and select the one on the right, Upload Attachment.

When the tab opens, select Choose File and it will allow you to browse your computer and click on an image. Once you see the Image name in the white box, click Add the File then wait until your cursor is back in this box. It may take a few second to load larger pictures.

Once the cursor jumps back to this box, place your cursor where you want the picture to be inserted. Scroll down and you will see your attachment and the option to Place Inline.
1968 Coronet R/T

Next

Return to Body and Paint