Spraying 2 pac metallic and clear for the first time

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:46 pm
Hi Guys

I am starting a new project soon, will be performing a colour change on a car and I will be staying 2 pac metallic and clear coat for the first time ever

Just after some advice on spraying techniques on how to get correct coverage without spraying to heavy or too light?

I've been told to spray 2 coats of metallic as normal, without saturating the coats to stop the metallic partials from laying flat, then for a third coat, widen the spray width on the gun a little and spray a light coat, spaying diagonally from the first 2 coats to help even out the coverage, then spray 2 coats of clear as normal.....does this sound about right?

Also paint mixing requirements, I'm told 2 parts colour to 1 parts hardener, but Iunsure how much reducer (thinner?) I should be using, any advice here

Thanks in advance guys

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:08 pm
Your metallic is likely to be base coat. 2 pack metallics are rarely used here, and even then only in industrial applications. Some base coats are suitable for adding a little hardener (just 5%) to reduce chipping. Keeping total paint thickness to a minimum will do the same.

Application techniques will depend on the product. Some premium base coats only need 1.5 coats while others need 2 coats plus a drop coat. Cheap paints often need 3 coats plus a drop coat (so no real savings because you have to buy heaps more). For example, this morning I painted a whole BMW bar with just 150ml base. That's using the top of the range Cromax base and was about half what I would have used with something else. More expensive, sure, but you get savings in using less and better colour matches.

Mix (base to reducer) depends on the base coat that you're using. Read the TDS.
Chris

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:00 am
Thanks for the advise

Filtration advise

I want to make a filter on my extraction, I have come across this

https://aeroflowfilters.com/product/aer ... qQQAvD_BwE

I've been told 2 pac will stick to anything within 10 metres, and there is definitely crap I don't want to get paint on outside my spray room......should this do the trick?

Cheers

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:28 am
Why would you need a 20m roll of 2100mm wide filter?

Go to your nearest Lincraft store and get a pack of polyester wadding. Around $20 for the King bed size. Cut to size as you need. Place on the inlet side of your exhaust fan. Your exhaust should discharge outside, preferably above roof height.
Chris

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:39 am
And that stuff will properly filter 2 pack?.....I can't extract out over roof height hence I'm wanting good stuff for filtration

I certainly don't need a 20m roll, just couldn't find it in smaller sizes

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:44 pm
It will filter out the solids and still wet droplets. I used it on the exhaust of my shop booth and did at least 2 jobs/day for more than 10 years. When I sold the shop the inside of the plenum had no more than a barely noticeable coat of dust, which wiped straight off, meaning that no wet paint got through.

However, your biggest problem is the isocyanates which are not necessarily solid, and, of course, poisonous. That's why the ADRs specify an exhaust 3m above the roof height - to give them a chance to dissipate before they get down to people levels. At the very least run your exhaust duct up the wall so it vents a couple of metres above the ground. Otherwise you may need to invest in activated charcoal/carbon filtering which is both expensive and doesn't last very long.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint