Colorite--Do I need Their Whole System?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:19 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I will not let anybody else pick my materials for me. Personally, I will turn down the job and have done so in the past, when people insist on supplying the paint.

Funny aside.........I went a looked at a Honda Goldwing that the owner really could not describe what he wanted painted over email. Turned out to be 18 parts in total--nothing huge but a lot of work. Owner doubted the need for priming--says "why cant you just scratch it and shoot paint?" I politely explained the need of primer. Got starting to talk about paint and he asks me if I could use, and I quote "airplane paint" since he heard it is more durable. At this point I have lost any interest in taking on this job. I politely tell him I have no experience with this type of paint (is there even an "airplane type" of paint?) and he shoots back that it would be no different than a bc/cc and if I know how to paint it won't be a problem. On top of all this, the owner is very overbearing. So a day later I cost it all out and hit him with a pretty high price.........guess what, I never heard back from him. I was glad. I got a bad vibe from him and just knewno matter how much $$ I might make it would be a crappy deal. Sorry for the rambling...just a venting.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:22 pm
I had a guy bring me a car already in primer and wanting to know how much I would charge for "just spraying the color?"

He had used rattle can paint, no telling how long ago and I could see trouble spots everywhere I looked. So I told him I would have to strip the paint off the car and start fresh. He couldn't believe I was rejecting his work and go angry and argumentative.

I told him that if I sprayed his car the way it was, he would be very unhappy with it and every time someone asked, who painted his car? He wasn't going to say, "I did the prep and so and so painted it." He was going to accuse me of doing inferior work.

No matter what they say, YOUR name will be attached to the paint job.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:41 pm
:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Same thing has happened to me and you're right, it will be your name that gets the blame.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:01 am
Yep, same here....it is the same with woods, metals, fiberglass, etc. People want a "little" bit of your professionalism in their project to fix the horrible catastrophe they are headed for with it..... if you get them on the right track they are proud of "their" work and if it goes south "you" were the problem.....
:flatten:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:18 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I had a guy bring me a car already in primer and wanting to know how much I would charge for "just spraying the color?"

He had used rattle can paint, no telling how long ago and I could see trouble spots everywhere I looked. So I told him I would have to strip the paint off the car and start fresh. He couldn't believe I was rejecting his work and go angry and argumentative.

I told him that if I sprayed his car the way it was, he would be very unhappy with it and every time someone asked, who painted his car? He wasn't going to say, "I did the prep and so and so painted it." He was going to accuse me of doing inferior work.

No matter what they say, YOUR name will be attached to the paint job.
This reminds me somewhat of a time I took our '68 Mustang to a shop for a fender repair. A buddy's mechanical shop damaged it while in for some work that (at that time) I wasn't up for. So, long story short, a tool cart rolled into the rear fender and did cosmetic damage. Long time friend of my Dad's owned the shop and he is a stand up guy, told me the paint shop to take it to and he would pay any costs. So, the job is done and it is flawless. While picking up our car I casually ask, that :if I do all the prep, how much to spray the whole car when the time comes. Straight up he says that he would want the whole job and likely not interested in finishing my work. Keep in mind this was 5 yr or so ago and I had no paint experience. I really didn't understand his reasoning but now with a tiny bit of experience under my belt, I totally see where he was coming from.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint