Touch up paint in cold weather

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:02 am
I’m a total amateur with paint. It’s about 30 degrees where I live and I don’t have a garage. I was able to use my brother in laws garage for about 10 hours. I used some touch up paint and clear coat for my truck door sills. It was down to the primer so I wanted to protect it from rust. Now my problem is I thought the 10 hours being in the garage and the paint since it was inside the cab I thought it would eventually dry. My truck is now under my carport and I went out to check on it and it looks cloudy and blotchy in some parts. Guess it never dried. Im going to repaint it when the weather gets warmer. Now my question is can I just lightly sand the touch up paint and clear coat and repaint the area without taking the paint off? I don’t really care how it looks because it’s inside the truck cab and you won’t even be able to see it. And even though the paint didn’t fully dry would I still be somewhat protected from the elements until spring time?
It was never rusted but just down to the primer from previous owner dragging his foot on door sill. I live in NC so it doesn’t snow much here also. I put three coats of touch up and 3 coats of clear also. Thank you paint pros for your help!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:24 am
Touch up paint? It was acrylic?

If so then it's just moisture trapped in the paint. Gently play a heat gun on the affected area. It should clear up.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:06 pm
It was a lacquered base paint? The brand was Duplicolor touch up paint with the abrasive tip, with the clear coat and paint on each side.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:36 pm
NFT5 wrote:Touch up paint? It was acrylic?

If so then it's just moisture trapped in the paint. Gently play a heat gun on the affected area. It should clear up.

Yeah don’t have a heat gun but I used a hair dryer on the hottest setting. Its dry to the touch not running or anything but still some spots of a cloudy haze. You can only see it if you get up close and shine a flash light on it. But looks good otherwise

Return to Body and Paint