First time painting, cloudyness in base coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:55 am
Hello,

I had a go at painting the rear spoiler on my car. The paint was peeling off. I used all 1K paints in rattle cans.
- 1K Rustoleum Acrylic Primer
- 1K Colour Code matched base, metalic silver
- 1K Rustoleum Acrylic Clear Coat

My steps:
- Sand wing with 600grit and then 1000grit, clean with wax/grease remover
- 3 coats of Primer, sand, wax/grease remover, 1 hour drying time (10min between coats)
- 3 coats of base coat, 1 hour drying (10min between coats)
- 4 coats of Clear coat, 2 days drying time (10min between coats)
- Wet sand with 1000grit and 2000grit
- Polish with compound

After drying I noticed cloudyness under the clear coat on one section. It didn't go away with sanding and polishing.

What would this be?

Thanks in advance

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:29 pm
Okay, so we are back in rattle can land again.... Look, here is one potential problem with Rustoleum....you don't really know what is in these cans even though they are coming from the same supplier. I've wanted to understand this for quite some time so I took pictures of cans at the old local big box store and looked up what msds sheets I could find. So what is the big reveal?....Some cans read more like lacquers, some like enamels, and some seemed like they were almost some kind of hybrid of solvent and air dried coatings. So you are seeing one of two things there in my opinion.... you are either seeing somewhat of a incompatibility problem between the coatings or they were all truly compatible solvent based coatings and you are seeing "blushing" which quite common when pushing/stacking lacquers too quickly on a surface. IF it would be blushing lightly spraying some more of your last clear coat should make them dissolve. IF you start seeing them dissolve, finish up, and don't come back for a few hours. IF they are still gone, wait and dress the surface out again as you did before the NEXT day.
So what if that didn't work? You probably need to take it all off and pitch your rattle can system there as it is just not working. Move on to guns, compressors, real spray coatings, etc. We aren't too hot on rattle cans and the results they produce......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:06 pm
Thanks for the reply.

It's good I had my first attempt on the wing. I've got a compressor and spray gun so will be using that next time. I'll have to get some 2k clear as well as primer and base in a tin.

I have to do the door as well, so spray gun should give better results.

Return to Body and Paint