2K single stage satin black help

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:44 am
Gents

Is it normal to leave finger prints / smudge marks all over gloss / satin black finishes whenever you handle it? The prints / marks seem to dull the finish but seem to wipe off easy enough with some water / rag (spit / shirt) and I'm not getting black on my hand but it shows up so easily and everywhere and has me worried its the topcoat I'm rubbing off and it not curing 100%.

I've used non 2K satin black plenty of times and didn't give me any fingerprint issue (but they were less glossy than this satin).

If it was a topcoat issue with a single stage black would you expect me to see black paint on anything I rubbed it with?

The parts themselves had sat 10 days since painting and looked perfect until I started handling them and getting the prints etc everywhere.

I did 2K Epoxy, 24 hours later, 2K single stage satin black. Both done in a booth in around 25 degrees (77 odd farenheit) and followed the TDS to the letter.

This is just some brackets I painted but I want to repeat the process on some more items so want to identify if I have an issue.

Appreciate any help.

Adam

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:35 pm
Adam, are your finger dirty? :) I've had this problem with certain satin black products. if your product was catalyzed it should be hard. but black as applied to a hi gloss has the problem of rough fingers tending to lightly scratch the finish. sometimes it will take a week or so for the finish to completely harden. i really don't know what else to tell you. a product that i use all the time for a satin finish is Zero Rust. it's a synthetic enamel and i use a hardener 5-STAR Enamel hardener in it. its sensitive to the hardener by the fact that the more hardener the more gloss that you have. I usually mix about 8-1, 8 parts color to 1 part hardener. this gives me the shade of color i want. this product is supper tough and dries fast with the hardener. i use it to duplicate under hood color on gm and other automobiles. i also do a lot of motorcycle resto work and its a great finish for jap bike engines that were satin black. it doesn't stain or leave fingerprints and oils wash clean with soap and water. i probably didn't help you much, but maybe Chris NFT-5 will pop in he's way more knowledgeable about your products ( down there ) than i am.
good luck Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:28 pm
Welcome to the world of non-gloss finishes.

They all do it, satins and flats, to a greater or lesser degree depending on the paint.

Clean hands and a good wash before handing over is about all you can do.

BTW, my personal favourite for these finishes is Axalta Cromax 510. It seems to suffer less from the problem than most. I use a flatting base to about 80% - looks satin but enough gloss binder in there to make it last. Gives good coverage too.
Chris

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:12 pm
Appreciate the feedback...although not ideal, glad to know it's normal.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:16 am
what paint did you use exactly ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:35 pm
The shop sold me Protec Paraglaze 64 satin black for doing the brackets etc.

The finish quality is good but a bit too glossy for my liking so I will go back and see what other options I have in a single stage.

NFT5 - is a "flattening base" an additional product you can add in to the paint mix?

Return to Body and Paint