Runs While Clearing Over Decal

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!



Fully Engaged
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:44 pm
Hi Guys,

Finishing up a black job on a '66 Ducati bike. I applied the tank decals over the 1000 grit sanded clear--they laid down very nice. I let them dry 2 full days and sprayed the clear last night. Long story short, I have 2 runs right over one of the decals. I know what I did wrong , that's not the issue. I have a total of 4 coats of clear over the decals now. Normally when I get runs, I let it dry for 3 days and then sand with 1200 grit and then follow it up with my compound/polishing process. I'm just wondering if there is anything different I should do since it is over a decal. I can shoot a pic but, well, it's a run, LOL. Thoughts?



Top Contributor
Posts: 5928
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: OREGON COAST
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:23 pm
i usually will scrape them down with a razor blade BUT you must be careful and above all don't get in a hurry. another way is to apply tape tight against both sides of the run and cut it with some heavier paper like 320 or 400, pull the tape and finish with 400and 600. with that much clear you should be ok. i have a run file and it works ok also. be sure its cured good, depending on how heavy it is you don't want to be scraping or cutting and have it still be soft inside. you can always drop back and cut it smooth and shoot another coat of clear hopefully run less . i like to shoot 3-4 coats on then sand smooth carefully over the decal, then reclear this makes the decal smooth no outline.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay



Fully Engaged
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:47 pm
badsix wrote:i usually will scrape them down with a razor blade BUT you must be careful and above all don't get in a hurry. another way is to apply tape tight against both sides of the run and cut it with some heavier paper like 320 or 400, pull the tape and finish with 400and 600. with that much clear you should be ok. i have a run file and it works ok also. be sure its cured good, depending on how heavy it is you don't want to be scraping or cutting and have it still be soft inside. you can always drop back and cut it smooth and shoot another coat of clear hopefully run less . i like to shoot 3-4 coats on then sand smooth carefully over the decal, then reclear this makes the decal smooth no outline.
Jay D.
Thanks Jay!! I decided to try scraping them for the first time today and it seemed to go well--took longer than I thought it would but that probably was a good thing. I followed up with a 800 wet and then a 1500 wet and then a 2000 and then finally a 2500 wet. Tomorrow, I will do my usual 3 stage of compound/ polish. I'll post up some pics once I am done but I think I am on the right track.

User avatar

Board Moderator
Posts: 9018
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: ARIZONA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:06 pm
The only caution I would give is to make sure the run is cured before scraping it.
If you get on it too soon, you can actually pull a glob out and leave a hole in your clear.

A sharp razor blade and a slow steady hand are necessary. Be sure to shave very small slivers of material, rather than trying to take too much.
1968 Coronet R/T


ACTS 16:31



Fully Engaged
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:37 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:The only caution I would give is to make sure the run is cured before scraping it.
If you get on it too soon, you can actually pull a glob out and leave a hole in your clear.

A sharp razor blade and a slow steady hand are necessary. Be sure to shave very small slivers of material, rather than trying to take too much.
Good advice....I could see how you could get too aggressive and ruin the clear.



Top Contributor
Posts: 1278
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:16 pm
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:49 pm
personally, id spread a finishing glaze over the runs and surface. that way only what i want sanded( the runs) will be sanded.
when all of the glaze is gone, the runs are gone and the surface is smooth/flat. no wobbly look from the reflection in sun.



Top Contributor
Posts: 5928
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: OREGON COAST
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:44 pm
:goodpost: another good way, probably better than the razor for the first timer. the razor can get you in trouble.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay



Top Contributor
Posts: 1278
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:16 pm
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:15 pm
badsix wrote::goodpost: another good way, probably better than the razor for the first timer. the razor can get you in trouble.
Jay D.

wth- were you watchin me on that one??? :rotfl:

just a "small" mess i made.



Fully Engaged
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:16 pm
tomsteve wrote:personally, id spread a finishing glaze over the runs and surface. that way only what i want sanded( the runs) will be sanded.
when all of the glaze is gone, the runs are gone and the surface is smooth/flat. no wobbly look from the reflection in sun.
I may try that next time....although the razor blade seemed to work well.



Top Contributor
Posts: 5928
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: OREGON COAST
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:15 pm
if you can fix a run with a razor blade successfully, your now a pro. :clap:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Next

Return to Body and Paint

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 63 guests