clearcoat application

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:31 pm
Spraying clearcoat tomorrow. PDF says use 1.4 tip which I will do. My question is do you spray it wetter than you would basecoat . Thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:02 pm
everybody has their own idea on this, but i like to spray mine wet and glossy. if you have the correct reducer and activator for you spray temps it should go on nice. practice on something first, to get your gun setup right and get the feel of how it sprays out. have you sprayed S/S before? it's just like that.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:11 pm
:goodpost: :goodpost:

Too dry and you get orange peel, too wet and you get runs and sags. So I like to spray it on wet but wait a bit longer between coats. Whatever flash time they give you should be viewed as minimum time between coats. You can also touch the clear that is on the masking tape and make sure it doesn't produce strings when you remove your finger.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:59 pm
badsix wrote:everybody has their own idea on this, but i like to spray mine wet and glossy. if you have the correct reducer and activator for you spray temps it should go on nice. practice on something first, to get your gun setup right and get the feel of how it sprays out. have you sprayed S/S before? it's just like that.
Jay D.

Thanks

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:32 am
Depends on the clear,

some like a tack coat followed by wet coat,
some like full wet coats all the way through,

also depends on the finish you are after.

OEM orange peel ?
polished ?

what clear are you using ? what gun do you have in a 1.4 tip ?

Nozzle size is just a "relative to size" number. flow rates are different between guns with 1.4 tips.

shape will come into play as well on application.

so.... what clear are you using? size of project ? what are you painting ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Fully Engaged

New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:38 pm
Spraying clear is fun. As Jay says, practice on something else first. Ha, you really get "in the zone" and can really layer it on without getting runs. I love to see that glistening lake look when you get it right. I use a slow reducer so it hits the surface and has the chance to lie down flat.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:49 pm
Bill911 wrote:Spraying clear is fun. As Jay says, practice on something else first. Ha, you really get "in the zone" and can really layer it on without getting runs. I love to see that glistening lake look when you get it right. I use a slow reducer so it hits the surface and has the chance to lie down flat.

I am using a Universal Clear. I dont think we are allowed to use company names on this forum but its made by a company in Georgia

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:18 pm
good stuff, I've use it many times. you'll like it sprays nice if your setup correctly. pay attention to air pressures, you may need to go up or down form the stated pressures.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:05 pm
35ford wrote:
Bill911 wrote:Spraying clear is fun. As Jay says, practice on something else first. Ha, you really get "in the zone" and can really layer it on without getting runs. I love to see that glistening lake look when you get it right. I use a slow reducer so it hits the surface and has the chance to lie down flat.

I am using a Universal Clear. I dont think we are allowed to use company names on this forum but its made by a company in Georgia

How did it turn out for you?

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 2:05 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote::goodpost: :goodpost:

Too dry and you get orange peel, too wet and you get runs and sags. So I like to spray it on wet but wait a bit longer between coats. Whatever flash time they give you should be viewed as minimum time between coats. You can also touch the clear that is on the masking tape and make sure it doesn't produce strings when you remove your finger.
For me, I find it being a fine line between peel and runs.... I always assume that I am going to cut and buff so if I am going to err it will be on the run side. I have only done maybe 50 clear jobs but still really dig the look when the base goes from matt to gloss.

Return to Body and Paint