Base coat separating on contact

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:29 pm
I am painting a motorcycle and did the bodywork and then sprayed a High Build Primer. Then block sanded and next may be the part where I went wrong. I spayed everything down with Turtlewax bug and tar remover. When I went to apply the base coat it’s like spraying water on oil. I’ll try and attach a pic.
The primer I used is UPOL UP2251 high build primer with their recommended hardener UP2327.
The base coat is High Teck HFP250 Ebony black with Grow Automotive 1380 Urethane Reducer(slow).

It appears to me that the primer is contaminated. Is there anything that will remove the contamination? Or do I have to sand all the primer off and then start over?

I appreciate any suggestions, advice , or experience.
Attachments
FC2C894C-EE20-4C1E-9A5D-E5C2A3D93AC4.jpeg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:05 pm
Whoa,..... I first thought that was some new art effect on there. Turtle Wax Tar and Bug Remover, seriously???? The stuff is for cleaning off the bug crapped front of your car.... it has no place even in a finishing room. The stuff has cleaners and SURFACTANTS in it that are intended to disperse fluids. And that is exactly what you got. Sand all of that stuff off back down to clean bare surface and start over. Get some automotive grade wax and grease remover and some automotive grade tack cloths.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:05 am
Oh Wow! I've never seen that bad before! :shocked:

Before you even start sanding that off, rinse liberally with clean water and then wash with detergent, followed by a good rinse. Then spray on a liberal amount of wax & grease remover, wipe off and repeat the washing. Sand a layer off and repeat the whole process. Continue to do this until you get all that primer off.

What you're try to do is not contaminate further down, which will happen as the sanding exposes a fresh layer and transfers all that gunk to it.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:33 am
Tarzan wrote:I spayed everything down with Turtlewax bug and tar remover.

why??? what directions on what product say to do that? whatever paint product recommends that, stop using that product and any product associated with the company that makes the product that says to spray everything down with bug and tar remover.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:38 am
Yeah, I like Chris's idea with the washings inbetween steps..... And, as said, get rid of that Turtle Wax crap..... or at least move it to another garage.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:26 am
you might have a hard time getting rid of it. i would try some good wax and grease remover, saturate it several times then wash with Sawn soap and water. then agian wipe it down, WIPE ON WIPE OFF with the W/G/R, let dry good. then you can kinda test it with some water spray, spray the side of the tank until it sheets down the side it should be one continuous sheet as it runs off. GOOD LUCK
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:37 pm
the wax is for after your paint has cured....
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Fully Engaged

New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:58 pm
I quite like it. If it was intended as a paint effect it's excellent.

When you sand it down, clean it up, wax and grease remover as mentioned already, make sure you get every square millimetre of it off. It will leave a fisheye in your next paintjob if you don't

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:44 pm
Ok….Thank you for all the replies. I used the bug and tar remover because I thought it probably was in the same family as Wax and Grease remover. And that’s what My wife brought back when she went to the store. My mistake obviously. I’ve only painted a couple motorcycles a car and some body panels. And that is over several years. I try and read as much as possible before starting a project. And try and follow directions, but sometimes things don’t go as planned. But I like doing as much as possible myself for the self satisfaction and realizing the results in the end.

So I’ll go ahead and sand and start over.

Again, thanks for the help

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:48 am
Be careful! Note what was said above! Sanding all that contamination into the metal will probably screw up you next attempt.

I would chemically strip or even better blast the old stuff off. It's not just paint it's full of that bug and tar remover stuff.

Hopefully you can post back how it turns out whatever you do.
Next

Return to Body and Paint