Help me, my blindness got me into trouble. Can I salvage th

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:27 pm
I did good research on this forum. I chose products that people liked (they all turned out great). I put my heart into prep. Maybe way too much heart. My epoxy primer spraying was perfect, exactly what expected. My filler work was masterpiece, but my Primer Surface, and Primer was a surprise.

Here is the pic:

It turned out the guy that sold me UPOL UP2253 primer shipped the wrong items and I never noticed because the color of the container looks similar. Instead of UP2253 I got UP6303 RAPID SYSTEM PRIMER with the wrong hardener. I did not notice the mismatch until the primer spraying was off. I went of the wrong tech sheet. Even my gun tip was way off. I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. Checked everything, but the paint itself. I had a feeling this is not enough paint coming out of the gun. No adjustment worked. I decided to bother you guys here, and I took pictures of my products. That's when I realized what happened.

Can I simply fix this by sanding this down and continue, or the base paint will also look off from those weird looking primer stripes?

My 1.5 tip was too small for this primer. Tech sheet says: 1.6-1.8. With my 1.5 tip it was not really "filling in". Car painter told me not to do any more body filler cause it's beyond perfect and the primer will fill in all that. It did not. Not to mention this thing was drying way too fast. Total mass. I think that's what happens when you're a perfectionist, you miss something stupidly obvious.

My Setup:
Devilbiss Finishline gun
5HP air compressor
Epoxy: TAMCO
Filler: UPOL ONEFILL UPO660 and Kemperle Flo Putty K1288
Primer: UPOL RAPID SYSTEM PRIMER 4:1:1 Primer UP6303 with U-Pol 2303 Fast Hardener

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:09 pm
Block sand it all back with P400 dry. That will take out the overspray.

Then a single coat of epoxy, as a sealer (see TDS for mixing). Hold your gun a little closer and make like a robot, keeping it exactly perpendicular to the surface and painting in straight lines with about 50% overlap on each pass. Walk the length, don't stand in the middle becoming a rotating point which will vary the angle and distance of the gun to surface.

Then base and clear or 2K topcoat.

At 1.5mm, that gun may be a bit big for topcoats, especially if you don't have the experience to compensate. Do you have a 1.3mm?
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:12 pm
Yes, I do have 1.3. I have both: 1.3 and 1.5
So that single coat of epoxy will become the sealer, cool. What to do after epoxy? Is this wet on wet or I need to wait 24 hours and send it down to 800?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:30 pm
If you have no dust issues in the epoxy sealer then just let it flash for 20 minutes or so (refer TDS) and go WoW with topcoat(s). If you can see dust or junk in it then wait 24 hours and give it a light sanding with P600-P800 before topcoating.
Chris

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:27 pm
Which Tamco epoxy did you use?

Depending on the weather, one line of their epoxy can take about 24 hours before you can topcoat it.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:07 pm
I used DTA epoxy from this website. That was good. UPOL primer was wrong. I had no gun tip for it.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:54 am
I finished this entire project. It came out perfect. Learned a lot. Now I will restore 2 of Ninja 1000s from 1987.

Base coat (white) came out perfect in the final product, but I saw some "clouds" when spraying it. Clear coat had some orange peal. I had to sand it with 2500 and polish it. Clear coat also showed way more than I ever expected. Good to know for my future projects. Super happy the way things came out. I think I'm ready for the motorcycles.

Return to Body and Paint