What clear coat to use? Why can't I blend the clear coat?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:43 pm
Hello all!

Question. I am wayyy in over my comfort level painting my truck. I managed to fill a few holes with fiber glass epoxy, and prime/paint. Now Everything looks good - HOWEVER, I cannot FOR THE LIFE OF ME - get the clear coat to match the rest of the paintwork.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cAJMRnNueHZhZF9t9
Here is a picture of the result of some clear coat that I sprayed on.

I have a few questions regarding this clear coat that I've been using - is it best to use 2k? Did I mess up by using regular clear coat? I managed to get the rest of the truck looking good and actually blended it well - the rest of the truck where I used the clear coat looks good (except for the roof, which I messed up today)

I've been using Clear coat from a can at the store. Krylon most likely.
Why did this happen to the roof? I'm finding it extremely difficult to blend the clear coat on the roof - why is it so hard to blend? Is it better to just repaint the whole panel instead of blending the clear coat?

This is the paint I've been using
https://www.amazon.com/Ranger-Bright-Is ... 156&sr=8-2

Thanks for the input!
:cry:

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:17 pm
Okay, so I've still got my office work to do.....and I really don't want to chew into all this right now.... who will explain how this rudimentary newbie fail works?..... be gentle, some of these fellas do get enlgihtened and turn into painters...... :)
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:30 pm
Yes I know I'm a super newbie. I never intended to go as far with repainting parts of this truck as I have.

I am well aware I probably shouldn't have used canned clear coat. I think I'm going to respray the roof one more time correctly with 2k this time. Any tips are welcome...

Also I don't just spray the clear coat - I've been sanding it with 1000 then 2000, then buffing with compound/polish - not sure why the roof came out that way - maybe it was too hot and caused bubbling?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:42 pm
Ahhhh, darn....nobody wanted to drop by and play with you.... Well, I'm finally unburied so I'll take a few moments here.... JUST SAY NO TO RATTLE CANS! That needs to be a poster with a can and big red cross through it. Clear Krylon in a can might have maybe 12% solids, tops. Compare that to most of the better auto refinish clear coat say like Tamco Euro 2104 which is ready to spray at 54% solids. So Tamco recommends 3 coats of that. Are you starting to see a difference here. I'm not even taking into consideration that yes, that was a roof that probably got from warm to say hot. That may have evaporated/flashed off half of that 12%. And, then you sanded, rubbed, and compounded???? Well, you probably yanked off what was left of that thin crap.
So here is the thing, if you are even considering going to a 2k clear get all that Krylon off back down to the factory clear. If that base coat in a can is working for you color wise, well, okay..... but for a minium 2k clear that has decent solids the minimum you should use it the Spray Max line. https://www.amazon.com/Spray-Refinishin ... C86&sr=8-3 Shop it out, sometimes you can get it down around $20 a can. You might need a couple of cans with a roof like that.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:46 am
Thanks Darrell.
I just couldn't bring myself to type the often repeated response to those using rattle cans.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:25 am
It's okay....like pulling a band-aid.... It does make me think a sticky titled "Did you you use rattle cans to paint your car?", might be in order though......

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:39 am
It's probably to late, but Bagel, that paint is expensive. how many cans is it going to take? you could have darn near bought a quart of base coat and a quart or two of clear for what your going to have in spray cans. you could have bought a gun at Horrible Freight, and had money left over for pizza.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:48 am
Yes avoid the spray cans if possible. Now I don't know if you have seen this before but there is good quality 2 part clear coat in spray cans now. But it's expensive from Eastwoods at $30 a can.
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2k-aerospraytm-high-gloss-matte-clear.html

I still think I would avoid all that and stick with 2 part clears from a real spray gun.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:51 pm
The Eastwood stuff is just private labeled SprayMax. SprayMax is down around $20 a can.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:05 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Thanks Darrell.
I just couldn't bring myself to type the often repeated response to those using rattle cans.

Yeah sorry Darrell. Me too.

Sometimes I've thought of having a database of stock standard replies that I can just copy and paste.
Chris
Next

Return to Body and Paint