Basecoat Activator question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:18 pm
Hello all:

I am working with Axalta Chromax, using their Chromabase (K) and 7175S activator (1:1), and then going over it with Chromaclear with a matte additive. I am repairing front and rear bumpers.

The mixing instructions are clear: if I'm spraying flexible parts, I *must* add to RTS (ready to spray) Chromabase 1 oz/quart Chromapremier 14305s (5 means medium) ACTIVATOR (it's usually a clear coat activator: it has resins in it which I assume make the paint more flexible).

I don't have any. It's $160ish for a quart, and I don't wanna :rolleyes:, I need only 1/2oz. I DO have some 7775s (the activator for Chromaclear).

Is it the same stuff? Can it be a SUBSTITUTE?

What limited info online exists on the topic of the activator (barring the supplyhouse from which I bought the paint: closed at 5pm, of course) boils down to "Axalta has decided that the addition of an activator reduces failures", and "it's not critical, unless your part is so floppy that the paint on it has to be like a rubber band". Some say that the paint is too soft if the activator is used.

I don't think adding that small an amount to the mixed basemaker could hurt, but I do NOT want to add an incompatible activator. It appears that 14305S was once named 12305S.

Was 12305S once named 7775S? Should I put a bit of it into the basemaker before I spray, which I was hoping was going to happen tonight?

Anyone feel confident enough to venture to answer? TIA!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:19 am
what i do with basecoat is add 5% hardener "whatever hardener is in the clear im going to clear with"

i dont usually waste money on flex additives as they loose their ability to flex over time anyway.

paint companies claim to have flex additives that stay flexible for the life of the paint these days but im still skeptical.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:50 pm
PainterDave wrote:what i do with basecoat is add 5% hardener "whatever hardener is in the clear im going to clear with"

i dont usually waste money on flex additives as they loose their ability to flex over time anyway.

paint companies claim to have flex additives that stay flexible for the life of the paint these days but im still skeptical.

Thanks for the response, Dave: this 7775S is the hardener for my clear - so you're on board with this option for flexible bumpers then?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:16 pm
MStef wrote:
PainterDave wrote:what i do with basecoat is add 5% hardener "whatever hardener is in the clear im going to clear with"

Thanks for the response, Dave: this 7775S is the hardener for my clear - so you're on board with this option for flexible bumpers then?

I would be comfortable using the clear activator in your base,
what you are doing is creating a crosslink for the basecoat and the clear, this makes a stronger bond between the two.

PPG for example calls out dx57 for deltron basecoat, i always use the harener that goes into the clear im clearing with since i mix and match my paint systems

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:03 pm
PainterDave wrote:
MStef wrote:

I would be comfortable using the clear activator in your base,
what you are doing is creating a crosslink for the basecoat and the clear, this makes a stronger bond between the two.

PPG for example calls out dx57 for deltron basecoat, i always use the harener that goes into the clear im clearing with since i mix and match my paint systems

Thanks for the knowledge, Dave!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:47 pm

Hi Dave,

I just picked up a gallon of PPG DBC in Superwhite 040 to repaint my whole Tundra. What type of reducer and hardener would you recommend to add to the paint? Also what clear coat would you recommend from your experience it looks like you are the PPG man from my research here :).

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:43 am
I am a fan of DCU2021 w/ DCX61 Hardener, DT885 reducer, 1.2 spray tip, 2 medium tack coats followed by a full wet coat.

1st tack coat 15/20 flash or till it stops "stringing" on your finger,
2nd tack coat 15/20 min flash or till it stops "stringing" on your finger,
3rd a full wet coat

DBC asks for DX57 as the hardener in the base, I just use the DCX61 I use in the clear

I spray with a SATA 5500 1.2 RP 31psi about 4-5" from panel moving pretty quick

now I do not know what kind of set up you are spraying in, i spray in a quarter million dollar booth, heated and air conditioned.

what's your set up and environment like ? humidity ? heat ? air flow ? spray gun ? hoses ? high flow ?
Attachments
Trailer.jpg

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Return to Body and Paint