How to remove old dried/hard masking tape from rubber seal

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:28 pm
Please help NOTHING is working!!! So far I have tried, heat, pressure washer, WD40, Goo Gone, adhesive remover and scraping with a plastic trim tool and this stuff is NOT budging. The truck was painted by the previous owner 6 months to a year ago and this was attached to the top of the window. Not sure what was used but you can also see there was a fair amount of overspray on the windshield I just about have cleaned off now...
Stuck Tape.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:28 pm
i'm surprised the WD-40 didn't work, did you let it soak into it, like keeping it wet overnight? i've used enamel reducer and let it saturate then its kind of a peel process to get it off. what ever you use its going to have to saturate completely like overnight. let this be a lesson DON'T use cheep tape and DON'T leave it on for long periods and DON'T get it wet and leave it on.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:01 am
Have you tried Automotive Adhesive Remover? I bought a quart of 3M years ago, it works and lasts a very long time.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-General-Purpo ... 294&sr=8-6

Also a small amount of lacquer thinner on a cloth rag might work.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:18 am
Thanks for the replies! I let the WD40 soak for a good while, not over night. I did put the Goo Gone on a rag and let it soak overnight and no luck there. I was afraid to try thinner b/c I was not sure if it would mess up my paint. I did have someone suggest putting mayonnaise on it and letting it soak. :) I am not sure I have heard that one before but am just about desperate enough to try it at this point! I am thinking about trying one of those decal remover drill attachment wheels also.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:58 am
i would try the mao, if it doesn't you can lick it off. :rotfl: the rubber wheel might work but be careful it doesn't chew the rubber around the glass.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint