Advice Wanted--Spot Spray Or One More Coat?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:41 am
Hi Guys,

Just about to do a cut and buff on a snow mobile hood that I shot in single stage for a guy. Came out looking nice with the usual trash in a few places so I proceeded to get them out with 1500/2000 grit ready to start my compound process. All is going well until I find a run on the side down low. In a bit of a hurry, I grab 600 on a block and knock it down thinking I will follow up with 800,1000,1500 and then the 2000. Well, you guessed it, I went thru to the primer.

So, the whole hood is smoothed to 2000 grit. I know I can spot the area and blend pretty well and continue with the compound process but, I know with my pace, I will have another 2-3 hrs. in it OR, I could just re-spray the whole hood and be done in about an hour. My only concern is the hood being smoothed to 2000 grit--will a new layer of paint stick fine in the long term. I sprayed it 2 days ago. Essentially I want to give it a flow coat. Thoughts?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:44 am
i say shoot the whole hood.

next time you get a run, put some body filler over and around it then sand. that way youll only be sanding on what you want gone- the run.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:53 am
tomsteve wrote:i say shoot the whole hood.

next time you get a run, put some body filler over and around it then sand. that way youll only be sanding on what you want gone- the run.
Good advice. I have used a razor blade with success in the past but will try the body filler next time.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:03 pm
i'm sure BUT you did use a catalyst didn't you? i would rub it with a scratch pad just to be sure. 2000 is smooth, if you would have done it at 2 days it might have been in the recoat period witch would have helped. i would just recoat the complete hood. in my experiance with spotting touch-ups, it always turns into a much bigger job than what you think. if it was something big i MIGHT try it. a lot of variables here, color, position, quality of finish, and so on. if you have time you might try it, if its down low and not directly visible. if you spot it shoot 1 or 2 light coat on then give it a good flash time 1/2 hour or so. this is going to hopefully seal the broken edge of the sand through, then a medium wet coat. sand the overspray and buff your going to see a halo around it, just depends on how much it bothers you. i may sound a little paranoid but trying this with S/S is a real crap shoot, S/S can lift ( around the broken edges) with just good eye contact. i can't think of a number big enough for all the failures I've had with S/S touch ups like this, far more than successful ones. one thing though it might be good practice for you, you can always drop back and recoat the complete hood.
good luck Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:33 pm
badsix wrote:i'm sure BUT you did use a catalyst didn't you? i would rub it with a scratch pad just to be sure. 2000 is smooth, if you would have done it at 2 days it might have been in the recoat period witch would have helped. i would just recoat the complete hood. in my experiance with spotting touch-ups, it always turns into a much bigger job than what you think. if it was something big i MIGHT try it. a lot of variables here, color, position, quality of finish, and so on. if you have time you might try it, if its down low and not directly visible. if you spot it shoot 1 or 2 light coat on then give it a good flash time 1/2 hour or so. this is going to hopefully seal the broken edge of the sand through, then a medium wet coat. sand the overspray and buff your going to see a halo around it, just depends on how much it bothers you. i may sound a little paranoid but trying this with S/S is a real crap shoot, S/S can lift ( around the broken edges) with just good eye contact. i can't think of a number big enough for all the failures I've had with S/S touch ups like this, far more than successful ones. one thing though it might be good practice for you, you can always drop back and recoat the complete hood.
good luck Jay D.
Well, I think I am better off shooting the whole hood again--I have lots of material left over. It would be good practice to try the spot repair but I want to get this job back to the owner as I have promised him it would be finished this weekend.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:46 pm
I just shot it all over again. Layed down nice and good coverage but the smoothness of that 2000 grit made it a lot easier to get runs--I got a few but I can get them out pretty easily. I was hoping I could just give the hood back tomorrow right off the gun but in the end, it will look a lot better after the run removal and any dirt I might have gotten in it. In hindsight, I should of just gone over it all with 600 and re-shot it. Live and learn, LOL.
Last edited by Rebel Racing on Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:49 pm
tomsteve wrote:i say shoot the whole hood.

For ease of removal (sanding) can I use glazing puty?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:18 pm
yes, good idea. masking tape will work also.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:19 pm
badsix wrote:yes, good idea. masking tape will work also.
Jay D.
Never thought of tape....might try both (different spots obviously). Thanks!!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:21 am
badsix wrote:yes, good idea. masking tape will work also.
Jay D.

No it won't. Can't sand it down and you end up with a step in the run if tape is too close or run the risk of sanding through if further away.
Chris
Next

Return to Body and Paint