Help Wanted--2 Tone Gloss And Matt Black

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:07 pm
Hi Guys,

I have a bike tank that the owner wants the top half gloss gold with the bottom matt black. I have told him that there will be a ridge between the colors and he is fine with that. Just looking for advice to make this the best I can--he has given me a big job in the past and he trusts me so, I want to do the best I can for him. Thoughts?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:02 am
Not quite sure what you're asking here RR.

Are you worried about the join line? Why? The customer isn't and I'd be reasonably sure that he's more than aware of your limitations.

Paint it. Collect money. Move to next job.

One day, when you're not under pressure trying to do a customer's job, sit down and think about the ways that you could do a join like this and still have a gloss and matte finish on top and bottom.

To give you some clues, here's a list of what you'll need:
- Fineline masking tape
- Base coat colour
- Base coat black
- 2K gloss clear
- 2K flat clear or matting agent
- Pinstripe or (advanced technique) fly masking tape

and the all important keywords: "butt joint" and "no step".

Think about it and try some ideas out. Don't ask here (or anywhere else) how to do it. When you have it figured out and you've come up with a technique that works, post up here, with pictures, for all to see. Extra points if you can do both the simple and advanced techniques.

You've come a long way in a fairly short time and the object of this exercise is to use your brain. I don't mean that in any sort of derogatory sense, but good painters are the ones who are able to problem solve.

So, get to solving and I look forward to your solutions in a month or so.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:28 am
NFT5 wrote:Not quite sure what you're asking here RR.

Are you worried about the join line? Why? The customer isn't and I'd be reasonably sure that he's more than aware of your limitations.
Yes, I just want it to be a smooth transition-or as close as possible. If it were 2 glossy colors, I would just smooth it out and then buff but if I did it with the matt color I figure it would end up glossy. I'm probably over thinking it.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:14 am
As already pointed out.... several ways to make it work..... Ha, you should try combining ultra fine texture and coarse textured bedliner.... Take a look at the pic.s from the bottom of the page reading up.....this is what we came up for that....
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28871&start=60
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:37 am
paint the whole bike gloss gold,
mask your gold and prep where you are spraying black with 800 and gray scotch bright,
single stage matte black unmask next morning.

done
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:42 pm
:goodpost: the man is a genius!
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:05 pm
PainterDave wrote:paint the whole bike gloss gold,
mask your gold and prep where you are spraying black with 800 and gray scotch bright,
single stage matte black unmask next morning.

done
Cool, that is exactly what I was looking for. I figured it would be gold first but this is new ground for me--newbie for sure. I have a tendency to overthink stuff though.
Last edited by Rebel Racing on Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:15 pm
NFT5 wrote:You've come a long way in a fairly short time and the object of this exercise is to use your brain. I don't mean that in any sort of derogatory sense, but good painters are the ones who are able to problem solve.

So, get to solving and I look forward to your solutions in a month or so.
No offence taken. I value your help (and everyone else) that has helped me over the months. I like the learning curve and with a few tips along the way, I feel I am turning out some decent work and to date, I have not had any complaints. I agree, I need to do some thinking on my own--I would not ask a mechanic to borrow his tools.

Return to Body and Paint