Intro- 1986 Bronco project

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:17 pm
First I wanted to say hello, and give a little background. I am a long time tinkerer, i have had several "projects" in the past, and currently have 2 sitting in my shop, both are 1986 Broncos. In the past I have had camaros, mustangs, tractors, anything old and crusty and did the best i could with it. I grew up on a farm and worked for a very meticulous uncle, our tractors looked better than most peoples cars. I bet my lungs are john deere green from all the paint i have sprayed on that equipment.
I have a basic general grasp of how to repair body damage. I have a nice shop with most of the tools needed to do most jobs. I can even lay down a decent paint job with single stage paint, but these are not show winning jobs, just gets the job done without being too orange peeled or drippy, but not having a booth and living in the very deep south, it usually ends up with a gnat or something like that in the middle of it.
So, onto the meat of the matter, as mentioned I have 2 86 Broncos I'm working on. One I'm just fixing up to play around it, i got it really cheap and I am just doing some basic repairs and I will be painting pieces of it with good old single stage acrylic enamel.
The other one, has been getting a proper bumper to bumper frame on restoration, it was in really good shape when i got it, didn't really need a lot of work, but it does have a few dings that need to be worked out. I want to do a base/clear paint job on this one. So far I have done all the mechanical work, engine, transmission, painted the frame, upgraded the electronics, and it's ready to go mechanically. It had a bashed in fender and one had a big rust hole from the antenna being gone so i replaced both fenders with aftermarket ones and they fit OK (as good as they are going to at this point). I got lucky and nabbed a good used rust/dent free door to replace the bashed in one.
I had a painter lined up, he was going to fix the dents and paint it for me. I asked him if i could do anything to make it easier on him, and since were doing a color change he said if i could do the jambs it would be better. So, while i had the engine out and fenders off i used single stage paint to paint the firewall, cowl area, door jambs, backs of the fenders, tailgate area, even fully painted the inside of the doors (not IN the doors but what you see with the door panel off.
The truck was originally two tone, dark brown on tan, but we're going back with blue on tan (Shadow Blue Metallic to be exact). My painter moved...and I have asked every body shop in the area and NOBODY will take the job, nor do they know anyone that will do this for me. I got a couple of "here try this guy" and got told no by all of them. So i have decided to just do it myself.
So here I am, i don't know what i dont know..at this point i don't even know what to ask. My bronco is sitting in my shop all jambed out, I just need to paint the underside of the hood. I am trying to find someone that will at least fix the dings, but I can do that if i have to, i just really dont have the time (that's by biggest problem). There is NO rust to repair not a blister or a bubble anywhere.
What should my first move from here be? Just start taking the original paint down? How far...all the way? Should i focus on the dings first? I just get overwhelmed when thinking about the process of painting with all the different steps and throwing in the fact that I am doing a two tone just amplifies my anxiety. Any help is greatly appreciated and if i need to ask my question in a different area, forgive me i'm learning.

Thanks

Return to Body and Paint