I need you guys expert opinion.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:00 am
I live next to a beach and the Corolla has odd bits of surface rust underneath. Places like the back axel and suspension components.

It's not big rust but I'd like to prevent it getting worse. I've seen the 4X4 enthusiasts vehicles that drive through salt water having a coat of black paint paint underneath.

What I'm thinking of doing is, section by section, is scaping sanding degreasing cleaning, then brush painting on a black 2K epoxy primer and leaving it at that. No top coat as it won't see UV's. I want to brush paint it on so I don't get the paint on electrical connections such as ABS sensors.

Here in New Zealand we tend to be a PPG country. I don't want regular underseal/stoneguard as the salt finds a way through it and rusts underneath.

What would be your preferred product and game plan?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:40 pm
yep,do the cleanup and then your epoxy. then shoot some under coating on to protect the epoxy. epoxy is strong stuff but thats severe conditions under a car. there are all kinds on undercoating's you'll just have to shop around where you're at.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:31 am
Thanks Jay. Any PPG black epoxy primer? And is it OK to use it over existing paint? The rust is just bits of surface rust here and there.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:48 pm
Yes epoxy will bond to abraded finishes, clean and sanded. a good scrubbing with a scratch pad works rather well. i don't know your situation are you planning to brush the epoxy, then do what you want its all going to work as long as everything that gets brush painted is clean and scuffed up good. the undercoat will stick good to almost any surface thats clean.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:28 pm
Thanks Jay. I love this Corolla (it's my seventh LOL) so I'd like to extend it's lifespan by doing some preventative maintenance on it.

Return to Body and Paint