Noob painter - how much paint do I need???

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:46 pm
As the title states, I am a noob to bodywork and paint. I am a senior master Ford tech, and can fix anything electrical or mechanical - but body work is an art and I want to learn it. I bought a 2019 Edge Titanium in white platinum, paint code UG. I am not afraid to paint, I just want to know how much to buy and how to do it the best that I can in an environment that is not perfect.

This Edge was a light front and rear impact vehicle. No structural components damaged. I am replacing/repairing front and rear bumper covers, lift gate, and both fenders. No airbag deployment.

How much paint should I expect to use painting the front cover, rear cover, lift gate, and both fenders?

Would you recommend priming the parts white before the base coat to reduce the number of coats required?

I am excited to get this project under way, and I will add some pics in the morning.

Thanks for your help, I look forward to learning from everyone’s collective knowledge!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:10 pm
I'm not familiar with that color, is it a tri coat? someone else here should know. i would guess and just a guess a pint of base would be enough. usually makes a quart ready to spray, depending on the product. you're planning to use base clear system? what i would suggest is to by some paint when you get a better idea of how much. then take one of the old fenders and sand it and spray it with some of your color and clear it. you're going to need some experiance before you shoot the new stuff. better to make learning mistakes on some old parts rather than the new parts.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:48 pm
Yes that is a Tri-stage paint. That means two base coats are applied and then your clear coat.

Pictures of what you are wanting to paint would help greatly. It sounds as though blending will be part of your process. Let's see some pictures before we venture a guess as to how much paint you will need.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint