Help with Rust prevention in spots.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:07 pm
Hello everyone,
I used to frequent here some time back and found a lot of help, that from the community and repainted of my cars myself. Well sometime has past, those cars are gone, and I have a new car, that is proving to push my skills again.. The new car is a 1990 300zx. The previous owner had a professional, top of the line, state of the art, respray, for $7,500.... from a local Cadillac dealer, and it looked pretty **** tbh. I did have all the paperwork and invoices, so it wasn't just made up, but that job was done in 2009.

Anyways.. I could see deep sanding marks in the hood, that must of been left over from prep, and other imperfections, that were just clearly painted over. Today the clear is burning off the hatch, and rust has started to bubble/blister up in places from under the paint. I'm nearing the point of attacking the rust spots to see how bad the damage is, but here is where I need some help.

I live in South FL, I have no inside place to work on the car, so everything is just done in the backyard. The problem here is, rain is random, and pretty much as soon as the sun sets, everything is wet, all night long till 10 or so in the morning.

The plan was/is, to attack the rust spots, see how bad those areas are. I have a mini sand blaster, and a new wire wheel to clean the spots, as needed. If the damage wasn't too bad, use bondo metal reinforced filler to fill/level. I also have a rattle can of spray max 2k epoxy, to cover the work back up. Sound good?

Second problem, is if I can't finish the work, because of a lack of time (finding more damage then expected), or possible weather, I don't know what I can put on the worked areas to protect them from moisture in between working on the spots. I really don't want to crack open a $30 can of spray paint, that is just going to go bad, before I can finish all t he spots. However, I don't want to think I fixed a spot, only to have moisture set in, then have that spot rust out from under the paint again.
Will just normal off the shelf rattle can, self etch, or rattle can primer sealer, protect the metal from moisture/rain till everything is done, then I can 2k epoxy it. Should I just slap some gloss paint on the areas, and then sand it off when I'm ready to epoxy. Tape some plastic over the areas?

I know I'm probably just over thinking it, but I rather go in with a plan A,B,C, instead of just winging it, and having doubts later.

Thanks for any help. Below are the 3 major areas of concern, but places deeper in, like the headlight buckets, and such that requires tear down also need to be addressed, however they wont be visible, I just need to stop that rust.
Attachments
IMG_0613.jpg
IMG_0611.jpg
IMG_0612.jpg
Last edited by Walker305 on Sun May 01, 2022 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:14 pm
can you get one of the portable carports that are closed in all the way. or figure out how much you can do in a day, like one front fender and a door. strip it to bare metal clean it with wax and grease remover let it dry good then shoot some epoxy on it. you'll have to learn how much it will take and there is going to be some waste don't sweat it, it just happens doing it this way. so know you have an idea what you can do in a day . so maybe the next day do the hood, front fender, and the other door. i would forget the shaker cans sounds easy but it will be more work in the end.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:32 am
Walker305 wrote:Hello everyone,

Second problem, is if I can't finish the work, because of a lack of time ( finding more damage than expected), or possible weather, I don't know what I can put on the worked areas to protect them from moisture in between working on the spots.

i suggest taking a look under the car at what condition the subframe/unibody is in before getting too involved.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:56 pm
tomsteve wrote:
Walker305 wrote:Hello everyone,

Second problem, is if I can't finish the work, because of a lack of time ( finding more damage than expected), or possible weather, I don't know what I can put on the worked areas to protect them from moisture in between working on the spots.

i suggest taking a look under the car at what condition the subframe/unibody is in before getting too involved.
:goodpost: Looks like i could be a salty road problem.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 4:45 pm
It's been a Florida car all it's life. I'm the second owner. The car has no rust under it at all.

Return to Body and Paint