Sanding through a Maco Paint job back to factory.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:45 am
Hello everybody, I recently purchased a 1998 f150 as a work / hunting truck. The truck was a fleet vehicle for an electrical contractor out of Billings Montana, they buy base model fleet trucks from dealerships send them to maaco and have them sprayed viper red and then the door pillars and roof bright yellow.

This truck was painted obviously over 20 years ago sometime around 1998 and the red paint job is chipping off pretty badly. This truck is not very important to me as far as looks are concerned but it's only going to continue getting worse and I do drive the truck daily.

So I had an idea. Underneath this maco paint job is a factory Ford white paint job. Would it be possible to sand through this maco paint job back to the factory white paint and actually have it look somewhat presentable when I was done?

If I used an orbital sander with say four or 600 to buzz through the red paint until I saw white, would this just look absolutely terrible when I was done or is it possible that I could get back to that factory paint job and have the truck look somewhat decent?

I know this would be a lot of work but I don't mind doing one panel at a time. Tailgate this weekend a quarter panel next weekend a door here, a fender there doesn't really matter based on what the truck looks like now.

I'll attach some pictures, a couple months ago I black Plasti dipped over the yellow top just so I didn't look like Ronald McDonald driving around. Let me know what you guys think thanks in advance.

Gary

Ps, can't figure out how to attach pictures.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 11:49 am
i don't think there is any chance that you can save the white. for one you're going to sand into the white. now you're going to have to buff it out, getting it smooth enough to buff. not to mention that you most likely are going to sand through the white. i see two easy options. use a more aggressive paper 320 to sand all the Maco paint off then respray it. another thing thats popular here with work trucks and hunters, is to coat the outside with Rino Linner. you can adjust the spray to get it on relatively smooth almost looks satin black. you still would have to get the Maco stuff off.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:43 pm
Yep, not enough sanding skills to save that white. Yep, get all the Maaco off and consider Upol Raptor Bedliner.... Take a look scrolling down through our build.....
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28871&start=60
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint