Laying Decals Before clear

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 1:01 pm
Hi Guys,

I'm on my 5th decal job now and it's big one. On previous ones I have laid 2-3 coats of clear, waited 3 days and done an 800 wet sanding. applied the decals and waited 2 days before applying 3 more coats of clear. I have gently wiped everything with W&G remover and have had no issues but never felt good about that. What do you pros do...like me with the W&G remover, alcohol/water or nothing. this is a big job and don't want to mess it up. Also, I have been waiting 2 days after the decals to clear--can I shoot clear sooner?

Thanks!!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 3:55 pm
sounds like you're on the right track. there are all kinds of decals. i would wait another day or two before the decal especially with 3 coats, but thats just me. I'm very cautious. with 3 coats and the right conditions the clear could still be gassing off. nothing more disappointing than seeing bubbles under the decal 3 weeks later. i usually shoot the clear the same day as the decal is applied. I've always used W/G/R but i don't saturate it, i have used alcohol water mix aprox. 50/50 agian don't saturate it.
just a tip, when you're going to spray over your decal turn the gun down and shoot a couple light almost dry coats on the decals and edges only, let these flash several min. this is going to help seal the edges so they don't have a tendency wrinkle up. then follow with your normal wet coats. don't worry about roughness your going to sand it anyway before your final clear coat. these are just ideas for you or anyone to roll around
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 5:59 pm
W&G then glass cleaner, all with a GOOD micro fiber, and tack before you lay decals.

your wait times and 800 should all be good
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:33 pm
badsix wrote:sounds like you're on the right track. there are all kinds of decals. i would wait another day or two before the decal especially with 3 coats, but thats just me. I'm very cautious. with 3 coats and the right conditions the clear could still be gassing off. nothing more disappointing than seeing bubbles under the decal 3 weeks later. i usually shoot the clear the same day as the decal is applied. I've always used W/G/R but i don't saturate it, i have used alcohol water mix aprox. 50/50 agian don't saturate it.
just a tip, when you're going to spray over your decal turn the gun down and shoot a couple light almost dry coats on the decals and edges only, let these flash several min. this is going to help seal the edges so they don't have a tendency wrinkle up. then follow with your normal wet coats. don't worry about roughness your going to sand it anyway before your final clear coat. these are just ideas for you or anyone to roll around
Jay D.
Great info...Thanks!!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:36 pm
PainterDave wrote:W&G then glass cleaner, all with a GOOD micro fiber, and tack before you lay decals.

After the decal has been laid and left for 2 days, do you wipe the area with W&G or just tack it and shoot the clear? I've been wiping them and shooting 30 min later but after a bit more research, I feel I may be rushing things....so far they have all turned out great but maybe I have just been lucky. Again, maybe I am over thinking it.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:31 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:
PainterDave wrote:W&G then glass cleaner, all with a GOOD micro fiber, and tack before you lay decals.

After the decal has been laid and left for 2 days, do you wipe the area with W&G or just tack it and shoot the clear? I've been wiping them and shooting 30 min later but after a bit more research, I feel I may be rushing things....so far they have all turned out great but maybe I have just been lucky. Again, maybe I am over thinking it.

your doing just fine, its just that there are all kinds of decal material out there so you need to be careful and not saturate the decal. good point from Dave on the use of the tack rag and glass cleaner. if your worried with the W/G/R on top of the decal use the glass cleaner, you should be clean anyway. it works, a lot of people use it. i use the spray can stuff ammonia free.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:44 pm
badsix wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:

your doing just fine, its just that there are all kinds of decal material out there so you need to be careful and not saturate the decal. good point from Dave on the use of the tack rag and glass cleaner. if your worried with the W/G/R on top of the decal use the glass cleaner, you should be clean anyway. it works, a lot of people use it. i use the spray can stuff ammonia free.
Jay D.
I have some Windex in a pump sprayer...I'll look to see if it is ammonia free.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:56 am
Rebel Racing wrote:
badsix wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:
PainterDave wrote:
Jay D.

stoners invisible glass. available at just about any auto parts store, meijer, wallyworld....

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:13 pm
tomsteve wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:
badsix wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:
PainterDave wrote:
Jay D.

stoners invisible glass. available at just about any auto parts store, meijer, wallyworld....
Got lazy...Amazon, be here tomorrow. Thanks!!

Return to Body and Paint