Worried about work done

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:02 am
I have cars that have body putty 40+ years old. If it was done right it will last. As was posted above the materials these days are very good and easy to work with too.

I would also let him fix it but yes that was a terrible repair to release to a paying customer!
My pride would prevent me from pushing that out the door.

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:56 pm
clubairth wrote:I have cars that have body putty 40+ years old. If it was done right it will last. As was posted above the materials these days are very good and easy to work with too.

I would also let him fix it but yes that was a terrible repair to release to a paying customer!
My pride would prevent me from pushing that out the door.

I gave the body shop an opportunity to repair the car while I was away for a week (I needed the car regularly while I was here) and this is what I spotted immediately while the door was still shut. There were more mistakes when the door was opened but I didn't take photos and the owner wouldn't let me leave with the car unless I paid. He blocked my car in then tried to close the gates on me saying I'd be locked in overnight, despite his bodyshop not closing for another few hours. I had no choice but to give them a 3rd attempt to fix the car tomorrow however the issue is that the owner keeps thinking I have a 'keen eye' even though these errors can be spotted by anybody.

Can I ask what everyone's opinions on this repair are? Bear in mind this is only the outside where it's easily visible, there were more mistakes inside. Am I the one with the 'keen eye' or does he just have low standards? He keeps emphasising on his 35 years of experience however that doesn't mean anything given the way the car was given back the 1st and 2nd time.

The photos of the repair are on https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/4ab3ae9d ... 0eobfc3ing

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:05 pm
badsix wrote:i have a cars i did in my local area that are 20+ years old and still look very good, no filler problems, and products have gotten better. filler today properly put on should last for years 20-30 years with some life dependance on weather and exposure. its really hard to pinpoint a life span.
Jay D.

Can I ask what you would think about the 2nd attempt at the repair?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:26 pm
From what I can see that's not so much a painting problem, but preparation and masking issues. At the end of the day, though, those problems shouldn't be visible and it is the painter's responsibility to ensure that preparation is complete before starting to paint.

Those edges need to be sanded and then the whole door resprayed, with specific care taken in masking to avoid the visible edges. What you can see is often the result of using a tubular masking product in the door edges. It works but care needs to be taken in placement and it can become detached or move when the door is closed so I'd imagine that the problems inside are probably overspray that's got past.

There are differing standards on what is "commercially acceptable". I'd suggest that you're being hard, but not unreasonable, in demanding a better standard.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:42 pm
NFT5 wrote:From what I can see that's not so much a painting problem, but preparation and masking issues. At the end of the day, though, those problems shouldn't be visible and it is the painter's responsibility to ensure that preparation is complete before starting to paint.

Those edges need to be sanded and then the whole door resprayed, with specific care taken in masking to avoid the visible edges. What you can see is often the result of using a tubular masking product in the door edges. It works but care needs to be taken in placement and it can become detached or move when the door is closed so I'd imagine that the problems inside are probably overspray that's got past.

There are differing standards on what is "commercially acceptable". I'd suggest that you're being hard, but not unreasonable, in demanding a better standard.
:goodpost: FULLY AGREE !!!!!!!!! looks a little slopy and unskilled..
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:53 am
NFT5 wrote:From what I can see that's not so much a painting problem, but preparation and masking issues. At the end of the day, though, those problems shouldn't be visible and it is the painter's responsibility to ensure that preparation is complete before starting to paint.

Thank you for this explanation, I appreciate the time taken to write this. I have passed on these instructions to the body shop so I hope they can do it to a standard that would be acceptable by most painters.

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:09 pm

Can I ask what you guys think of the 3rd attempt? By this point, I was tired and just accepted that the car seemed to look in a better condition than the first 2 times and I needed it for work (he wouldn't release it without payment, he'd kept it blocked in for a few days) so I paid by credit card to take it away.

I have attached a few photos of the few bits that I saw at a quick glance, although the main issue may be the black line (I originally thought it was dirt) as it sticks out on the white car although there are a few things there. The leasing company will inspect the car at the end and if they find any obvious errors, they will realise the whole door has been done incorrectly and charge a large fine to rectify it.

I did send him your instructions before he started the 3rd attempt however he said it would be silly to respray the door and that I shouldn't worry as he'll be doing a good finish regardless. Although, it just seems like he's rectified a few things and caused a few other issues. The edge is just as bad/worse in places.

The photos are on https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pthwk2l8x0x3 ... WmB_a?dl=0

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:44 pm
The black line? Don't know. Can't tell from the photo(s).

The others are chips that have been painted over but should have been sanded smooth first. Acceptable? It looks like they're on the door jamb, not on the door itself. Was this something that was part of the original repair (i.e. blend to adjacent panel) or unrelated damage? If the former then it should be fixed, if the latter then you haven't paid for it so have no claim.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:40 pm
if you this concerned maybe you should bring the leasing company into the equation. maybe have them inspect it. if its ok to them then its a done deal. if not have them contact the body shop, its really their car. we, i can help with a diagnosis some, from poor pictures and advise what's posibly wrong and a cause and a posible fix. but in no way are we judge and jury with the shop. i hope you understand our, my position.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:55 pm
From what I remember, the original repair was for the door itself but we did discuss making sure it blended to the other panels (I don't think it's written on the invoice though, the invoice is very basic and just mentions that it's a door repair) however I don't know how the chips on the jamb got there. They weren't there before I gave them the car for the 1st attempt and they weren't there after the 1st attempt either I think. Issues on the door jamb just appeared from the 2nd attempt (yesterday) so I don't know how the bodyshop managed to get all that on there, I think it was from the prep/masking issues you mentioned. However, their 3rd attempt today at fixing the issues they caused on the door jamb weren't done very well since they didn't sand it first.

There's also this part here on the jamb where it seems like there's some different shade paint in a rougher looking texture. The link for that photo is https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4g5i5v7hso305v/Jamb.jpg?dl=0

I wish I'd never taken the car here in the first place. The owner is overly confident in the quality he puts out and regularly rushes cars. After the 1st attempt last year, he admitted to taking on too much work and his team not having enough time to do jobs properly. He promised to make things right on the 2nd attempt however we're now at the 3rd attempt where he's still not done it properly and he's not willing to work further as he sees nothing wrong now. As if a black line with a dark black dot on a white car is nothing wrong?

I completely understand that nobody on here can be judge & jury and I respect that you cannot always advise on how certain faults were caused or can be repaired just by photos so that's understandable, I just post the photos on here to get opinions from other repairers so that I know if the work has been done according to the standard of most body shops. I am disappointed that he said it was ridiculous to suggest sanding the edges and respraying the door, as it would have solved everything.
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint