Time To Wait Before Taping?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:03 pm
Hi Guys,

Doing a 2 tone tank today. TDS for the base says 45 min before taping at 75'. I follow them to "T" for everything. I'm thinking that the 45 min is the bare minimum to wait. Do you guys give it longer or bump up the temp to say 85-90'? I'd be kicking myself if the tape pulled the paint by taping it too soon. I'm thinking of waiting at least an hour, am I being paranoid?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:07 pm
NO YOUR NOT. and yes i would give it a little longer you should have several hours to put your clear on. there's a lot of variables, type of tape dry times film thickness and so on my moto better safe than sorry.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:38 pm
badsix wrote:NO YOUR NOT. and yes i would give it a little longer you should have several hours to put your clear on. there's a lot of variables, type of tape dry times film thickness and so on my moto better safe than sorry.
Jay D.
I agree. I will just do the first overall color today and tape and shoot tomorrow. I think I tend to put a little more base than is really needed (getting better though) so at 45 min, it might not be ready for tape and I am not really in a huge rush.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:54 am
One thing I have to remember is everything is focused on the for profit aftermarket paint industry. It's a business and time is money. So everything is set up for the fasted possible job so you can move the car in and out fast and then go to the next one.

As home hobbyist type guys we are completely different. We want the best job possible and NOT the fastest job possible. We have time after all it's a hobby! All the TDS are written for commercial shops and those are the bare minimum times.

I have changed so that I shoot primer one day. Base the next day and clear the day after that. I also don't even think about cut and buff until the car has sat in the sun for a week or more. I have the luxury of time since it's my shop and my car.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:53 pm
basecoat ? youll want some DBC500 or equivalent over the top before taping
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:08 pm
Why Dave?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:12 pm
i've had problems on metalic base in that the tape pulls the metalic up and makes a noticeable color tone change where the tape was. maybe not dry enough ?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:33 pm
Most TDS will give you a "Tape Free" time but you have to understand that this is just a guide. Temperatures can vary and, most importantly in my opinion, how you put down the paint - number of coats, thickness of each coat and flash times can all have a huge impact on whether you can successfully tape and mask for the next colour/effect.

The other thing that is critical is the kind of tape you use. Normally I use a high temperature, waterproof, paper tape. It masks really well, sticks like the proverbial to a blanket but edges are not super sharp, certainly not good enough for hard line colour joins. That masking tape costs about $2 for an 18mm wide roll.

When I do multi-colour jobs I use a special, low stick painter's tape for my edges. Although paper, it's more plastic with much sharper edges and, essentially, the glue sticks well and doesn't allow lifting, but is low tack and does not leave a residue on the paint. It costs about $14/roll.

I'm not a big believer in the use of intercoat clears. In my opinion they just add to the DFT and detract from the performance of the coating. Here is just one random example:

Bike2_resized.jpg

The whole thing done in a single, non-stop session, pausing only to allow the previous coat to flash, then masking and painting again. Took about 9 hours. Everything, except for the words "REPSOL" was done with paint.
Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:16 am
Rsrguy3 wrote:Why Dave?

because tape can effect the metallic, leaving tell tale sign where your tape was after you clear
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:22 am
:goodpost:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay