I am trying to spray the door jambs of a BMW

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:26 pm
Hi everyone,

I am trying to spray the door jambs of a BMW. I know the best way is to remove the panels but I am trying not to do this.

The panels and rubbers are coated with Amorall or something similar and nothing will stick to them. I have tried reducer and even laqure thinner in a small spot but nothing works.. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:05 pm
laganbailey wrote:Hi everyone,

I am trying to spray the door jambs of a BMW. I know the best way is to remove the panels but I am trying not to do this.

The panels and rubbers are coated with Amorall or something similar and nothing will stick to them. I have tried reducer and even laqure thinner in a small spot but nothing works.. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!

take a little clear coat do not add hardener and wipe it on there,

it takes very very little, you dont want it wet
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:23 pm
the Amoral is going to cause you all sorts of problems. in the hinge area your best bet is to put some wax& grease remover in a spray bottle and flush that area with the W&G remover as best you can, scrub with a paint brush as you flush it clean then if you can't scuff the area up good you can spray it with an adhesion promoter. there are several out there, i use DuPont 222 it seems to work good for me. i use it for blending and if I'm doing a color change i always pull the doors to paint the jambs. i think the 222 is used as a promoter for the jamb area. i believe SEM'S has one in a spray can, it just helps with the adhesion in areas like this. for tape on the rubber seals GOOD LUCK usually if i'm color changing the seals come off and we usually buy new ones. one thing you might try is lightly wiping the seal with some acetone, check in a inconspicuous spot to see how it reacts to the rubber.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:25 pm
PainterDave wrote:
laganbailey wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!!!

take a little clear coat do not add hardener and wipe it on there,

it takes very very little, you dont want it wet

Dave are you talking the rubber seals?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:06 pm
Remove the rubber seals. This lets you put any join line out of sight but, more importantly, lets you clean under them, where the ArmorAll gathers. Apart from that, you will never get all the silicone out and taping them will be next to impossible.

Then wash well using warm to hot water and a strongish solution of dishwashing detergent. Scrub well all over using a sponge or soft brush. Don't miss any bits - the mechanical action lets the detergent do its job and break up / remove the oils.

Rinse and dry. Dispose of any rags used in drying. They will be contaminated.

Using a pressure pump bottle (solvent resistant), spray Prepsol / W&G remover, allow to sit for a little then wipe off with clean rags. Repeat for heavy contaminations. A grey Scotchbrite pad used to scrub and agitate the Prepsol into the contaminant works well, as does some scuffing paste on the Scotchbrite.

Again with a pressure pump bottle or a trigger type spray bottle, spray the areas with a 50:50 mix of alcohol and water. Wipe off.

A visual test, by spraying some water on the surface, should show no tendency to bead. If it does, repeat.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint