Jeep Sarge Green Paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:17 am
tomsteve wrote:
Buckmaster wrote:Thanks guys. Think I might end up using F23 Green. Take a lot of guess work out.
https://www.amazon.com/House-Kolor-F23- ... B00396YR1K

this is the house of kolor page showing how to create the color.
basecoat black first, then flake in a carrier, then clear

https://www.houseofkolor.com/kolors/det ... la#formula

heres a pick of the tank on my scooter. basecoat blue, intercoat clear, layed stencil, basecoat black, pealed stencil, 2 coats of clear with flake, then 3 coats of straight clear. wet sand 600 then 2 more coats of clear..
the pic really doesnt show how blueit looks in person. the blue (other than the cross) is from the flake sprayed over basecoat black.

Very nice. I am thinking this is the direction I will go. I want to have a darker green like the old Willis jeep, but with lots of flakes when the sun is out. Was planning on a star on the doors and hood, but your tank got me thinking. Very cool.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:07 pm
I don’t use too much colored flakes anymore but there are certainly times to use them.

I would definitely spend some time and do a bunch of test panels, and write on the back of them, primer, primer color, BC, Number of coats, Clear etc.

I would either;
Shoot the whole thing in a solid color BC, spray some inter coat with gold or blue pearls, then clear. Then tape off your stars and shoot some silver flakes and then use candies, clear again.

Or shoot the whole think in silver flake and do everything in green cadies. A lot can be done with number of candy layers and how you mix it.

On my test panels for candies especially, I will use 3/4” wide tape and layout a bunch overlapping tape lines over whatever base that I am using. I shoot the first coat, then pull a tape and repeat. I end up with a bunch of lines next to each other with everything from one to four or five coats of candy. I clear the whole panel, let dry then take it out in the sun to pick which one that I like. After I settle on a look, I use that panel inside when I am spraying to match (inside, therefore out of the sun) the finish vs trying to match the mix exactly – I can’t find any of my photos of my test panels so I hope that makes sense.

The purple test panel below was to see what different effects would look like with just one color of pearl.
The brown panels were to test out color, effects and base colors, all pearls.
The pink computer case is just showing a star which is one color of candy over silver flake (and I like looking at my stuff!!!)

Anyways, test and keep posting results!

Purple Panel 2.jpg

Brown tests Clear & Satin (2).jpg

Brown tests Pearl & Solid Clear (1).jpg

IMG_20200621_161116.jpg

Computer Done HOK KK18 (1).jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:50 pm
Wow. alot of great info. I will be back asking questions!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:27 pm
OldFatBald wrote:I don’t use too much colored flakes anymore but there are certainly times to use them.

I would definitely spend some time and do a bunch of test panels, and write on the back of them, primer, primer color, BC, Number of coats, Clear etc.

I would either;
Shoot the whole thing in a solid color BC, spray some inter coat with gold or blue pearls, then clear. Then tape off your stars and shoot some silver flakes and then use candies, clear again.

Or shoot the whole think in silver flake and do everything in green cadies. A lot can be done with number of candy layers and how you mix it.

On my test panels for candies especially, I will use 3/4” wide tape and layout a bunch overlapping tape lines over whatever base that I am using. I shoot the first coat, then pull a tape and repeat. I end up with a bunch of lines next to each other with everything from one to four or five coats of candy. I clear the whole panel, let dry then take it out in the sun to pick which one that I like. After I settle on a look, I use that panel inside when I am spraying to match (inside, therefore out of the sun) the finish vs trying to match the mix exactly – I can’t find any of my photos of my test panels so I hope that makes sense.

The purple test panel below was to see what different effects would look like with just one color of pearl.
The brown panels were to test out color, effects and base colors, all pearls.
The pink computer case is just showing a star which is one color of candy over silver flake (and I like looking at my stuff!!!)

Anyways, test and keep posting results!

Purple Panel 2.jpg

Brown tests Clear & Satin (2).jpg

Brown tests Pearl & Solid Clear (1).jpg

IMG_20200621_161116.jpg

Computer Done HOK KK18 (1).jpg

Let me ask. If I base coat in black, shoot about 3 layers of green flakes. Sand all the orange peel out. Could I then place a vinyl sticker like a star on, before spraying 3 coats of clear or candy? Or would I need to stensle or paint a star on, then clear or candy? White star or Black? Thanks.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:24 am
youre gonna want a few coats of straight clear over the clear with flake before sanding or you risk the possibility of sanding on the flakes themselves.
i could be wrong but i think you will want the paint/clear to be cured before laying vinyl decal on it.
as for color of star- test em both out to see what pleases your eye.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:14 pm
Thanks guys. Yes, will need a couple coats of clear over the flake and clear before sanding the orange peel out. I was asking about clearing over stickers. The more I think about it, I think I will stencil the star on. Ordered some flakes. Going to do some testing.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:39 pm
Buckmaster wrote:Let me ask. If I base coat in black, shoot about 3 layers of green flakes. Sand all the orange peel out. Could I then place a vinyl sticker like a star on, before spraying 3 coats of clear or candy? Or would I need to stensle or paint a star on, then clear or candy? White star or Black? Thanks.

Since you are now into custom painting, there is no one way to do it.

Best thing to do is take your time and experiment. First on panels then on your Jeep, you can sand stuff off. Don't be in a huge hurry at this point.

Myself, all that work, I would not use a large sticker on it, but I like taping out designs.

I'd shoot the complete jeep in a solid BC, add gold pearl in some intercoat, add clear then let dry and wet sand.
Tape off the star (I assume it's on the doors?) shoot HOK silver sealer, then silver flake, then green candies, clear, sand again, then use green flake as a border (because I don't pinstripe).

Kind of an example, my Caddy's trunk below is all over silver flake except the orange outer band. That trunk has sooooo much clear that was sprayed and sanded off, but a finger nail will not drag on it.

Sounds like a fun project. Post a pic of it, and take LOTS of photos throughout. Even if you screw something up, these guys will help you out. They did for my millions of questions.

(U) Round 2 (2).jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:12 pm
dont "pepper" your flake... thats a sin IMO,

Flake is your color, if you want a flake color other than the color of the flake then you use silver flake and kandy,
Attachments
IMG_9412-2.JPG
IMG_9410-2.JPG
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal
Previous

Return to Body and Paint