Where did I screw up?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:36 am

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:48 am
You or perhaps another helpful person needs to fix your pic.s...... Not showing up.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:48 am
I'm a helpful person....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

So, where did you screw up?

1. Uploading your pictures. You can't upload a page link. It has to be a picture, e.g. a .jpg file

2. Your masking. There will be some awful masking lines on that guard and is that a gap I can see at the bottom of the windscreen?

3. Repair. There's no point in painting something if you don't fix it first. The bar doesn't fit to the guard and looks like it doesn't fit around the headlight either.

4. The horrible mess after a few hours or the mess after the basecoat? Did you do this with spray cans? Was it raining?
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:48 am
Whoa..... where to begin..... tell us what you did.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:09 pm
NFT5 wrote:I'm a helpful person....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

So, where did you screw up?

1. Uploading your pictures. You can't upload a page link. It has to be a picture, e.g. a .jpg file

2. Your masking. There will be some awful masking lines on that guard and is that a gap I can see at the bottom of the windscreen?

3. Repair. There's no point in painting something if you don't fix it first. The bar doesn't fit to the guard and looks like it doesn't fit around the headlight either.

4. The horrible mess after a few hours or the mess after the basecoat? Did you do this with spray cans? Was it raining?

Hi! Thank you so much for replying in detail. 1. No there isn’t any gap at the bottom of the windshield. Maybe just the way the masking.
2. There’s a bracket that’s I have to install that should allgn the bumper and I ordered a new headlight bracket this one was cracked.
3. The mess was after few hours of clear coat. No I did not use spray cans. And yes it has started raining outside after I was done painting. But it was in the garage.
This was my first attempt at painting ever.
Do I have to sand it all down and start all over at this point?
Last edited by Mwaji86 on Sun May 22, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:10 pm
DarrelK wrote:Whoa..... where to begin..... tell us what you did.....

It seemed fine before I sprayed clear but this is what happened after like maybe 6 hours I sprayed clear. Not sure why.

By no means I’m a professional. Of course I’m sure you can tell by the pics.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:25 pm
DarrelK wrote:Whoa..... where to begin..... tell us what you did.....

Yes, this.

We need to know what kind of paint you used and how you put it on. Flash times that you observed and weather before, during and after painting. Equipment you used - compressor, gun, settings.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:44 am
I think a lot of today's new painters are having issues, because they are using lacquer (Duplicoor) and not modern paints. Yours looks a bit like lacquer blush, happens when it rains, or even if it's humid out. I might be wrong, but first, what brand and type of pint did you use?

Return to Body and Paint