Do paints spray/act differently?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:08 am
I'm not sure if naming brands/distributors of paints is allowed so ill just describe by Paint 1 and 2.

Paint 1 is a newly purchased single stage red from a budget brand. I painted a bicycle frame, and a garden table. The bike was epoxy primered, sanded, and then shot with single stage red. The garden table was 20 years old and rusted to no end. I hit it with 80/120 grit on a 5" electric random orbital sander and that was that. I did the legs by hand quickly. No primer, as it was just an experiment.

Both the bike and table turned out great. Smooth paint. I had a run or two on the mountain bike frame but that was totally my fault as it was my first time using a paint gun. Zero orange peel. The small garden table looks so nice that when I gave it to my mother she has since kept it in the house and and put a decoration on it. Other than a few rust pits the rust had eaten away over time, it looks like something a fancy store would sell.

Paint 2: Twelve (12) year old unopened can of Single Stage Black. Very well known respected brand, but one of their 'fleet' lines. Prior to paint over the course of a week it spent 30 minutes in a paint shaker since I didn't know if it settled tons over the years.

When I open the can, its very watery. The lid is black, but the paint is almost dripping off it. Red Paint #1 is much thicker and coats the lid like a gel almost.
Paint 2 is 6:1:1 paint, catalyst, harder.
Paint 1 is 4:1. So I understand why paint 2 is probably thinner, as it doesn't actually get thinned as much by products.

When I shoot paint 2, it is much more difficult. Runs a little easier. Much more likely to have dry spots that don't flow out and cover. Doesn't seem to mist as well out of the gun. Doing a light coat for coat 1 is much harder than paint #1. Paint #2 when you turn material down starts to splatter more instead of misting on drier for a light coat. Heck, I even think it shows imperfections more, but maybe that's just from being gloss black.

Is this just a case of beginners luck with Paint #1 and my cheap harbor freight gun doing a better job with it? Or are some paints really that much worse to shoot?

I'm tempted to just put paint #2 aside and go buy another gallon of Paint 1 brand.

Or should I learn to adjust my gun better and figure out how to deal with Paint 2, since I'll be dealing with paint brands all being different forever?
Last edited by rickr84 on Mon May 23, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:14 am
I don't have a picture of the Black Paint #2 from today because I was so wore out from dealing with it I didn't think to even take a picture.

For Paint 2 imagine something considered almost unacceptable for anything other than farm equipment.

Thank you
Attachments
PXL_20220515_221911168.jpg
PXL_20220517_001609574.jpg
PXL_20220517_001644083.jpg

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:46 am
Just like in another thread, that black might be lacquer. That's why it's so thin, and uses a 1-1 ratio. The other is a more modern enamel/urethane.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:25 am
Yep, that's what it sounded like to me as well. ^^^^^^^^^^^ Old paint tech. versus new paint tech.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:20 am
:goodpost: :goodpost:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:53 pm
chopolds wrote:Just like in another thread, that black might be lacquer. That's why it's so thin, and uses a 1-1 ratio. The other is a more modern enamel/urethane.

While Black is 12 years old, it's the one with a 6:1:1 ratio.

I just realized I made a typo. The Red newly purchased urethane is 4:1 not 1:1

Sorry for the mixup.

Return to Body and Paint