Clearing A Carbon Fiber Decklid

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:19 pm
Hi Guys,

I was asked to look at a deck lid on an import car. It is carbon fiber. Looks to me that the clear coat (or whatever has been applied over it) has failed. Is this repairable? Since the Guy bought the car used, he does not know if it is a carbon fiber wrap or real cf. I kind of want to sand it smooth and shoot clear. Thoughts??

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:40 pm
Run, Now.

If it's real carbon fibre and the clear has failed then you'll damage the cf getting the failed clear off.

If it's fake cf or a wrap or something similar then you'll still damage it getting the failed clear off.

Only solutions I offer in these cases are to paint it or sand smooth, prime and put a wrap over it.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:57 pm
NFT5 wrote:Run, Now.

If it's real carbon fibre and the clear has failed then you'll damage the cf getting the failed clear off.

If it's fake cf or a wrap or something similar then you'll still damage it getting the failed clear off.

Only solutions I offer in these cases are to paint it or sand smooth, prime and put a wrap over it.
That all makes sense. Kind of glad I have not heard back from the kid. Didn't look like he had much disposable $$ and I was hesitant to tackle his job.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:10 am
Chris, is just soooo right on this.... and so much of these cheap parts are just that....there is just not much to do with them.... Whenever I'm showing my truck the younger guys find out I can paint I'll always get hit up to fix these things.... Surface prep. at best and wrap....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint