Dura-block and self-adhesive sand paper issue

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:45 pm
painterdave, no offense taken! I just don't know what I'm doing, so I assumed a $20 roll was at-least a mid-range product. The grid does last a good long time though. I will try 3M or Norton nest time. Its a shame though, since I bought 80, 150, 220, and 400 so I'm a bit invested now. I will give the spray adhesive a shot!

The delamination is definitely a result of the dust working-its-way into the seam, since it only happens from the outside-in. Its likely the adhesive itself isn't top-notch. I cleaned the block with water followed by oil/grease remover which looks to be a mix of alcohol and mineral spirits.

I am encouraged to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this though.

Thank you all for your help!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:29 am
Ahajmano wrote:painterdave, no offense taken! I just don't know what I'm doing, so I assumed a $20 roll was at-least a mid-range product. The grid does last a good long time though. I will try 3M or Norton nest time. Its a shame though, since I bought 80, 150, 220, and 400 so I'm a bit invested now. I will give the spray adhesive a shot!

The delamination is definitely a result of the dust working-its-way into the seam, since it only happens from the outside-in. Its likely the adhesive itself isn't top-notch. I cleaned the block with water followed by oil/grease remover which looks to be a mix of alcohol and mineral spirits.

I am encouraged to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this though.

Thank you all for your help!

I have been doing this for over 30 years and I've been using durablock as long as i can remember, i have never really had issues except for their contour block. i wash mine from time to time, i use carborundum PSA and 3M purple hoot it.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:24 am
Hmm… let’s give the 3M paper a shot. If it happens with the 3M, it must be my technique. If not then it’s for-sure the dura-gold product (the sandpaper roll, sounds similar to dura-block but unrelated).

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:33 pm
Update: the problem seems to have gone away after trying several things. I extended the paper/adhesive overlap by 4” on each side of an 18” block. I also cleaned the block with windex in addition to the oil/wax remover to eliminate any water-based salts etc.

Genuinely appreciate all of your replies and help!!! This community is super helpful!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:43 pm
I have the opposite problem using the 3M, I like the 3M gold the best
but it gets stuck on there so strong it's hard to get the paper off,
and it leaves residue behind that is really hard to remove.
I always remove the paper as soon as possible.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:02 pm
I use the red 3M paper on my Durablocks and no problem with it sticking even if the blocks are dusty. Seems to come of without much issue. Does leave some sticky stuck on block which needs to be cleaned off occasionally. If you put excessive pressure on the block, which you should not be doing because that distorts panel, it can generate heat and cause issues removing paper from block.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint