Which paint to use on top of regular car paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:18 pm
Hello everyone, so I have a situation currently where I need to apply paint on top of my car’s existing paint. There’s no damage, and the paint is in excellent condition and was just clayed.

I just need something that will hold for a couple of months, and not come off from washing. I am looking for a high gloss black paint.

So to break down the situation I had my vehicle covered in ppf. I decided to go gloss black for my roof and this includes the pillars. The morons accidentally ripped off the edge of the ppf and now I have my paint color popping out. So I would like to cover it with some black paint as it is irritating.

The area is about 3 inches wide and half a centimeter tall with an uneven tear line. I can post a photo if it helps

I don’t want to use something which will be very hard to remove. But decent enough to stay, not super interested in color matching but the roof is a high gloss black so that’s what I am trying to get.

Do I use touch up paint? Acrylic? I have no idea I’m not a professional and appreciate all of your advice, thanks.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:06 pm
MCali wrote: The morons accidentally ripped off the edge of the ppf

Which morons? The ones who installed it or some other morons? Did you pay them to do this or was it just random "accidental" damage?

Doesn't really matter, but more information can help when you're asking for assistance.

Using a razor blade, very carefully tidy up the uneven tear line. Make it straight but don't cut into paint underneath.

Use acrylic lacquer touch up paint. Colour of your choice, available at most auto parts stores. You will also need some thinners. Get the highest quality grade that they have - not the General Purpose stuff which is just for cleaning.

First mask off at the edge of the repair. Use a low tack painter's tape and position on the wrap so it's not hanging over the edge but not more than 0.1mm from the edge. Yes, really accurately.

Mix a few drops of the well shaken paint with same quantity of thinners and, using a small brush, very lightly and carefully seal the edge of the wrap where it touches the original paint. Don't go heavy - you want this to dry quick and seal, not seep under the wrap and soften it. Repeat if necessary. Allow to dry - an hour or so at 20C or more.

Now comes filling in the rest of the repair area. You can use the little brush that came with the paint (probably) but you'll have Buckley's of getting it on flat. Better to use a bigger brush with nice long bristles.

Now mix your paint. 1:1.5 paint:thinners. Then brush on in one stroke preferably, two at a maximum. More strokes = more brush marks in the paint. You may need to do this 3 times to build up the paint thickness to that of the wrap. Each coat WILL shrink so give it time - at least 30-60 minutes between coats. Don't scrub the next coat on - just lay it down over the top.

Remove masking soon after final coat. Wait at least 24 hours before polishing down the edges and any brush marks, if necessary. Polishing takes a LONG time. Go gently.

This paint can be easily removed with thinners at a later date.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:23 pm
NFT5 wrote:
MCali wrote: The morons accidentally ripped off the edge of the ppf

Which morons? The ones who installed it or some other morons? Did you pay them to do this or was it just random "accidental" damage?

Doesn't really matter, but more information can help when you're asking for assistance.

Using a razor blade, very carefully tidy up the uneven tear line. Make it straight but don't cut into paint underneath.

Use acrylic lacquer touch up paint. Colour of your choice, available at most auto parts stores. You will also need some thinners. Get the highest quality grade that they have - not the General Purpose stuff which is just for cleaning.

First mask off at the edge of the repair. Use a low tack painter's tape and position on the wrap so it's not hanging over the edge but not more than 0.1mm from the edge. Yes, really accurately.

Mix a few drops of the well shaken paint with same quantity of thinners and, using a small brush, very lightly and carefully seal the edge of the wrap where it touches the original paint. Don't go heavy - you want this to dry quick and seal, not seep under the wrap and soften it. Repeat if necessary. Allow to dry - an hour or so at 20C or more.

Now comes filling in the rest of the repair area. You can use the little brush that came with the paint (probably) but you'll have Buckley's of getting it on flat. Better to use a bigger brush with nice long bristles.

Now mix your paint. 1:1.5 paint:thinners. Then brush on in one stroke preferably, two at a maximum. More strokes = more brush marks in the paint. You may need to do this 3 times to build up the paint thickness to that of the wrap. Each coat WILL shrink so give it time - at least 30-60 minutes between coats. Don't scrub the next coat on - just lay it down over the top.

Remove masking soon after final coat. Wait at least 24 hours before polishing down the edges and any brush marks, if necessary. Polishing takes a LONG time. Go gently.

This paint can be easily removed with thinners at a later date.

I took it to an authorized installer and retailer for warranty. Was listed on the website. Everything else they did really well, according to them when they basically razored the flat line to tuck it under the rubber they were peeling off the excess and I guess the line wasn't razor'd properly and pulled off the portion that was to cover the paint.

They said they will redo it but they want me to remove the window, if I want it to be super clean. Ironically the other side of the car they did it perfect, almost feel like someone else did the other side that knew what they are doing.

I'll edit and attach the photo which I have on the phone.

Greatly appreciate your detailed response.

Any acrylic paint you can suggest that's really nice high gloss?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/195485949@N07/galleries/

This link above click camera roll it’s the first two photos

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:01 am
MCali wrote:Any acrylic paint you can suggest that's really nice high gloss?

I like PPG Dulon or Axalta Cromax L400 but you'll probably only be able to get the stuff that's pre-packaged in a 10-15ml bottle and labelled "touch up paint", or similar. That will do but remember that the gloss level in acrylic comes from using the right thinners - slower is better and that means their premium quality. Acrylic can always be polished up to increase gloss.
Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:07 pm
you are trying to match the ppf ? why not black vinyl ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:21 pm
Bit of a moot point anyway, PD. It was installer's error and they've agreed to redo it anyway, so unlikely that paint, or a patch, will be needed in this case anyway.

The conversation on touch up really just for someone who might be searching in the future.
Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:00 pm
NFT5 wrote:Bit of a moot point anyway, PD. It was installer's error and they've agreed to redo it anyway, so unlikely that paint, or a patch, will be needed in this case anyway.

The conversation on touch up really just for someone who might be searching in the future.

He stated he wanted to touch it up till they could redo it, maybe I misread.

either way, best to just leave it alone and let them fix it
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Body and Paint