Undercoating OVER Paint Removal?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:35 am
Hi Guys,

Never an easy job I guess. Working on a multiple part bike job. At first looks I thought it was just a really bad re spray and the top layer just reacted with what was underneath, so I took the job on. Best I can figure is that someone in the past sprayed them with undercoating.

Well, as I started to sand I could not move the top surface with 80 grit. Moved to 40 grit and although it does come off very slowly, it plugged the paper very quickly. Move onto aircraft paint stripper and it did little. Now, I laid a rag soaked with lacquer thinner and it did soften it. I think I can move it with a lot of thinners and steel wool (??). For fun, I just tried a heat gun and a putty knife--it will come off that way but it sure is slow. Any other thoughts to get this mess off?? I guess sandblasting would be an option but his budget is not there to send them out for that. I even though t of using my propane torch but am afraid of warpage. On top of 2 fenders, it has 2 plastic side bags--heat is out of the question for them.
IMG_1786.JPG
IMG_1787.JPG
IMG_1788.JPG

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:11 am
On the metal ones, you might try a scraper that uses a razor blade.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:23 pm
JCCLARK wrote:On the metal ones, you might try a scraper that uses a razor blade.
I can try that also--thanks!!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:30 pm
Sandblast the parts, you will be days trying to get all that off
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:39 pm
PainterDave wrote:Sandblast the parts, you will be days trying to get all that off
I was afraid you would tell me that , LOL. I do have a 20lb Harbor Freight unit that I could never make it work with my old little compressor, now that I have the 80 gal 2 stage, maybe I'll play around with it to see if I can get it working better.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:46 pm
PainterDave wrote:Sandblast the parts, you will be days trying to get all that off
Read up on the settings on my sand blaster and low and behold, a real compressor makes the difference, LOL. Blasted the rear fender right down to shiny metal :) Kinda fun. The front fender and the tank to go tomorrow. I still have the hard bags and side covers to do....... all plastic so I really don't know how to handle them since I can't blast them or soak them with thinners. One stage at a time I guess.

Return to Body and Paint