Cracks in Primer-Surfacer?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:23 pm
Hi- first post here. I'm nearing the end of my 30-year 1968 Porsche 912 restoration (OK, for 25 years of it I didn't do anything- "life got in the way"...). Metalwork done, epoxy prime applied, bodywork done.

Last fall I stripped all removables (doors, front fenders, hood, engine lid, front and rear bumpers) and sprayed them with epoxy (RM). This spring I stripped the body and sprayed it with epoxy, then did the bodywork (Rage Gold).

In the last week I scuffed everything with red pads. Monday I wiped everything down with damp cloths and then prep-sol. Yesterday I sprayed epoxy over all the bodywork and exposed metal, then a full coat on everything. Then 2-3 coats of primer-surfacer (Limco LP 800K).

Almost everything came out just fine- body, hood, engine lid, front bumper, one door, one fender. The rear bumpers showed quite a bit of cracking lines after the primer-surfacer dried. Also one very small section on one door and one fender. So I must have done something wrong in those areas. Any ideas? Thanks!

I assume I need to sand those areas down and respray.
Attachments
20220726_193034.jpg
20220726_193000.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:27 pm
My guess would be that you didn't allow enough flash time between coats of primer.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:26 am
DSCN7591[1].JPG
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:My guess would be that you didn't allow enough flash time between coats of primer.
i hear you, it took us 51 years to get this finished this ^^^ and maybe the epoxy, to quick to put the primer over the epoxy. flash times are very important and depend on temps and film thickness
DSCN7590[1].JPG
DSCN7591[1].JPG

Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:20 pm
Thanks for the replies guys (and Jay- beautiful car! I had a C coupe back in the 70s- another rusty restoration job).

Yeah, it seems like it has to be too soon recoating. Although the epoxy tech sheet says 5-10 minute flash/ 15-30 minutes before primer surfacer. I met that, but maybe I had the epoxy a little too thick in some spots so that extended the drying time?

The primer surfacer sheet said 5 minutes between coats, which I was well beyond. But again maybe I was laying it on too thick?

Come to think of it, the rear bumpers and rear plate were the only pieces hanging "vertically" and I may have moved the gun vertically rather than side-to-side which would have put more material down. Wrong. Add that to memory bank....

In any case I spot sanded the cracks today with 320 and was able to get 95% of them out. The rest go down into the epoxy and are pretty shallow at that point, so I think a few (careful) coats of primer-surfacer should fill them OK.

Thanks for the advice!

-Mike
Attachments
20220728_173155.jpg

Return to Body and Paint