Spraying epoxy

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:27 pm
If you are trying to coat real brass you are losing a war here because of the very nature of brass itself. There is a very good reason that most instrument manufacturing firms use either a baked on epoxy coating or a UV cured coating. Most times even if you are successful at cutting off the oxygen supply there is an internal reaction called dezincification. It is thought that in some simpler brass formulas this will occurr no matter what coating you put on the metal. This even causes a gradual color shift from warm yellow brass to a distinct copper color. Take a look at any old brass trim or even a tuba or trombone made before 1900 and it will look distinctively copperish.... the zinc has almost entirely disappeared.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:41 am
Agreed may be a loosing war but have to still do it.

Compare it to a car, car has an accident damage, after the damage is repaired it has to be painted, this is the same in the music industry, once we repair a damaged brass instrument the finish is damaged we have to restore that finish.

Up till now I have been using nitro cellulose lacquer which works beautiful on brass however it is very soft and does not possess the same attributes the manufacturers baked epoxy has

Trying to improve my end product

Steve

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:57 am
Well, here in the US we use a water clear catalyzed lacquer for stuff like this. It is much stronger and more stable than nitro lacquers. I am looking across the room at a copper boiler that I refinished with it 35 years ago. It has done nothing and the metal color has remained stable. I know that Tamco here has auto clear coats rated for direct to metal. Seems like somewhere in between all this you would have something over there that should work.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:50 am
One would think so, however every supllier I gave asked so far over the last few years is a no for any finish over brass, the few that have said yes have been air dried lacquers.

Steve
Previous

Return to Body and Paint