best paint for stripes

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:53 am
It may be known I am currently repainting the roof of my truck. The goal is to paint a set of stripes of four different colors. Word from the local automotive paint shop is that lacquer, not enamel is advised given the much longer dry time of the latter. However, if waiting a day between different colors means better longevity, I would consider this. Though it would be nice finishing the colors in a day if a faster-drying paint would allow masking over within a matter of hours. Then there is the consideration of which type will tolerate the higher temperatures withstood by the roof of a vehicle over time.

The intended color and clear are these water-based paints from Montana Colors: https://www.montanacolors.com/en/productos/graffiti-water-based-300-aerosol-paint. These were likened to lacquer paints considering dry time, even though they are most accurately described as an acrylic. I emailed the company about the suitability of this paint for a vehicle, considering UV protection and whether a matte clear on top would provide adequate protection. They have not responded, which gives me some pause.

The primer is an automotive brand, and considered by many to be superior to rustoleum. I think it is a solvent-based primer and would seem to take an acrylic top coat once dry, though I do not know how to discern whether it is lacquer or enamel. Any help with some of these uncertainties would be rad.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:27 pm
The link that you have is for water based spray bombs for the color.

Are you planning on using spray cans only or do you have the actual proper spray equipment, compressor, guns etc?

If you do have the equipment, what I do when I do art work is to use a speed clear. Spray a color or two then a light coat of speed clear. Then scuff and do my tape work, then shoot the other color. Then clear the whole shebang.

My Caddy's trunk below had so much clear applied then sanded off that the clear manufacturer sent me a thank you card!

(T) Round 2 (7).jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:30 pm
:rotfl: :clap:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint