Chemical-dip fenders?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:48 am
Hi all,

So after being peppered with comments suggesting "get it down to bare metal!", I am relenting :worthy:

I tried media blasting the doors but this is a race car and the door skins got warped since there isn't much left structurally. This is a 240z which uses 20-gauge for outer body panels. Super this stuff, and likes to warp and tin-can like crazy.

So for the fenders I am considering chemical dipping. I found a local spot that will do both for $200.

Someone mentioned bleed-back and adhesion issues post-dip. Is this something I need to worry about or is this just do to poor surface prep after dipping? Any suggestions?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:42 am
i really depends on the chemicals and THE procedure AFTER the dip. i had parts striped many times and have had no problems. the striper i used was an alkaline electrolysis system ( Ready-Strip) worked very good parts were bright and clean. i would always sand the panels with 180 on a da just to clean and brighten them up and ad some tooth to the metal. then primer, being sure you wipe them CLEAN.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:37 pm
So I dropped it off today and he explained the process. He dips in one to strip everything, another to neutralize the stripping chemical, and power washer to remove the neutralizer residue. Says his customers have never had a problem so Im going to give it a shot.

Cost me $150 per fender but that's a heck of a lot of labor for me to strip by hand (maybe 3-4 hours). 240Z front fenders are the longest panel on the car by a large margin.

Thanks for your input!

Fully Engaged

New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:25 am
I got a fender dip stripped and it came out perfectly clean. Really clean.

I didn't get around to painting it for some time so it got dots of rust and small pits, but someone else (a car painting place) acid cleaned it and did a couple of coats of epoxy primer. And it's been great ever since.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:27 pm
Redi Strip is who i used, they dip the finished part in an anti-rust solution that protects it for rust.i have parts that have been setting around my shop for years and have no rust on them.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:14 pm
Hey that’s pretty cool! Yeah il be picking them up in 3-4 days.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:51 pm
I have only ever had bad experiences with chemical dipping.

After dipping and cleaned professionally, i have painted inner guards and fenders etc only for 6months later, the lap joints and folds, start to have rust come through, frustarting as..

Return to Body and Paint