A major paint problem

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:50 pm
Well what a wreck. I am painting a PU truck and I got ppg paint in both single stage urethane (for under the hood and inside the box), and base and clear for the outside. The paint store reversed the can labels and I painted whole cab with unhardened single stage thinking it was base coat. It is getting harder but is still soft 8hrs after. The paint store is providing all new paint, and sending a guy tomorrow to help me wipe it off with lacquer thinner and rags. I think that is going to just get paint sludge in all the cracks and corners that will never come out. I am thinking of calling PPG to see if it can set for a few days and then recoat it with either base or hardened single stage, or epoxy primer and then base clear coat over that. Have any of you guys had a similar problem? Will it ever dry, and can I go over that soft paint with something rather than try to remove it? Thanks for your knowledge.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:44 pm
You're gonna have to get in there and get all of that paint off, it's never going to dry. Applying anything over the uncured paint is just going to cause more problems.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:22 am
Agree. Unactivated 2K will dry....eventually, but won't be any good. Needs to come off, all of it.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:18 pm
needs to come OFF.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint