First Timer advice needed on Primer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:19 am
Hello all. Complete first timer needing advice. I am restoring a truck for a flip and looking to paint the interior cab of the truck. All prep work is done and it’s done to the bare metal. I have bought the paint, acrylic enamel for a very reputable place here in town. However due to the supply chain issues around the world he is out of epoxy primer. Gave me a couple sources but I am winding I need to go that route.

A bit about the project. Again this is for a flip and also a learning project for me as it’s my first time spraying a car. Painting the interior car floorboards of which 1/2 will likely be covered with a carpet kit. So not looking for a custom showroom finish. There is a minimal surface rust throughout.

My question is is there a cheaper alternative primer I can lay down to achieve adequate results. I can get a epoxy primer online but wondering if there is an a cheaper alternative suitable for this project.

Side note I will be attempting with paint job using the HPLV sprayer that I have. A Fuji Semi Pro2 which, based on my research is not likely the right tool as it lacks the psi needed. But it’s what I got and what I’m using this go around. Not even opposed to a roll on primer.

Just wanted some thoughts.

Thanks

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:56 am
Bare metal should get two coats of a quality epoxy primer.
This is the foundation of your paint job and protects the metal from rusting better than anything else on the market.

The reason there are limited replies to your post is that nobody on here wants to give advice on doing work that would be considered substandard. There are lots of DIY videos for that.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint