Small high spots

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:43 am
Here's a question I've been wanting to know the answer to for a long time.

I've put three coats of high build primer on my parts, filling and straightening out everything in between. Thought I had it perfect. But lo and behold, a few more small high spots appeared while I was hitting it with the long board.

They are about the size of a dime. I probably *could* just seal over them but my bigger worry is that I'll go through the clearcoat during the final block sanding in these same spots.

My biggest worry is the edge of the door (third photo below). I can't move that edge down because it's perfectly flush to the fender. And my door has about 1/16" of filler (Rage Ultra) on a lot of it already, as it was in bad shape when I began. Not horrible but more than I'd like.

So should I fill around these spots and prime again? Or just call it a day and seal it up, taking good notes to be careful near these locations?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:59 am
Are you using guide coat when block sanding your primer?
It will show you the low areas that need to be addressed.

Some times, if the high spot is small and isolated a "light tap" with a body hammer will be sufficient.

Edges that cannot be lowered, usually need to have filler applied to the surrounding area and feathered in. Again guide coat would show you those areas.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:56 am
Yes, I'm using guide coat.

I ended up filling the entire edge of the fender. I can still see the high spots but the low spots all sanded out pretty perfect with the long board, so I think we're going to be good there on the next go round.

On the door, the problem only seems to come from the really long board (36" or so). It doesn't occur if I use the 12". If I do fill it, I guess I'm going to have to feather it really far out to try and cover that long, shallow valley.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:43 am
in that last picture you can lightly tap that edge high spot with a flat body hammer it may not move much but you don't need much. it almost looks like the edge is bent outward and needs to be flattened. you could do a couple good wet coats of hi build, guide coat it then sand until the guide coat is gone and NO MORE use 180 or 220 you don't need to cut aggressively here.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint