Spray Painting Air

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:39 pm
I'm using Rustoleum thinned with acetone, but not sure what pressure. I previously painted @ 40psi and it seemed way to high....
Suggestions

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:02 pm
it depends on a few things but viscosity usually is one of them you'll just have to experiment if your paint is reduced thin then reduce your air pressure. it's just a matter of up and down until you get it right for your mix. then fluid tip and air cap come into the picture. then gun adjustment. I'm not sure acetone is a good reducer for Rustolium. what is it you're spraying it on?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:39 pm
[quote=. I'm not sure acetone is a good reducer for Rustolium. what is it you're spraying it on?
Jay D.[/quote]

This is what the Tech at Rustoleum said to use. Add 5% to my paint...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:15 pm
Rustolium is an enamel and i would think an enamel reducer would be best. acetone is fairly HOT it will lift most non catalyzed materials, thats why i asked what it was you were putting it on. ?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:53 pm
badsix wrote:Rustolium is an enamel and i would think an enamel reducer would be best. acetone is fairly HOT it will lift most non catalyzed materials, thats why i asked what it was you were putting it on. ?
Jay D.

old car nothing special

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:11 pm
OK let me pry into this a little more, like what year car. the main thing i was asking was is what is the rostellum going over? the old paint! if you use that acetone on an old enamel finish it could very well lift it, especially if you have any broken edges.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:29 pm
badsix wrote:OK let me pry into this a little more, like what year car. the main thing i was asking was is what is the rostellum going over? the old paint! if you use that acetone on an old enamel finish it could very well lift it, especially if you have any broken edges.
Jay D.

The paint has been on there about a month, but I had issues with the spay gun and had a lot of rough places. So I decided to sand smooth and recoat.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:29 pm
so one more time what is the paint thats on there, is it the Rustolium you have now? did you catalyze it.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:01 am
badsix wrote:so one more time what is the paint thats on there, is it the Rustolium you have now? did you catalyze it.
Jay D.

Same paint

Return to Body and Paint